Strange growths on roosters feet

Msolo23

Hatching
Sep 8, 2023
Today I noticed some strange growths on one of my roosters feet. At first I thought it was caked on mud but when I tugged on them it started bleeding. I thought maybe it was bumble foot but I've never seen bumblefoot that looked like this. Any idea what it is?

Attachments

• 20230908_130456.jpg
    20230908_130456.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 68
Today I noticed some strange growths on one of my roosters feet. At first I thought it was caked on mud but when I tugged on them it started bleeding. I thought maybe it was bumble foot but I've never seen bumblefoot that looked like this. Any idea what it is?
That looks like some horrific bumble foot!!! He probably cut up his foot REALLY badly and that's where the scab formed along with dirt.

Looks like calluses. But I don't have much experience with bumblefoot (somehow, it's a mini blessing for my flocks), so I wouldn't know if that's a possible outcome. My older males get rough bottoms on their feet usually, but they're not off colored like that.

Looks like Contact Dermatitis from being on wet ground, exposure to ammonia in droppings/debris, etc.

Do you have photos of the housing/coop/run where he lives?

This is pretty advanced, so it may be infected too. If you have vet care, that would be best.

If I were going to try to treat this, I'd used Tricide Neo. This Post tells you how to use it, this is where to buy it. It's extremely important that your rooster is kept on clean, dry bedding. And treatment is kept up with daily.

This is what the very early stages of Contact Dermatitis looks like.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...contact-dermatitis-foot-pad-dermatitis.78413/

Looks like Contact Dermatitis from being on wet ground, exposure to ammonia in droppings/debris, etc.

Do you have photos of the housing/coop/run where he lives?

This is pretty advanced, so it may be infected too. If you have vet care, that would be best.

If I were going to try to treat this, I'd used Tricide Neo. This Post tells you how to use it, this is where to buy it. It's extremely important that your rooster is kept on clean, dry bedding. And treatment is kept up with daily.

This is what the very early stages of Contact Dermatitis looks like.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...contact-dermatitis-foot-pad-dermatitis.78413/
That would make sense. I live in Missouri and it's been very rainy and swampy in my area this year. He probably got it from walking around in the mud.

My chickens are free range and this one likes to roost outside the coop so I doubt the coop is the problem. If I remember in the morning I'll add a photo of the coop.

I ordered the tricide neo so I'll try that. Fortunately, he's walking fine and doesn't seem to be in any pain so I'm hoping it's not infected.

Thanks for the advice!

That would make sense. I live in Missouri and it's been very rainy and swampy in my area this year. He probably got it from walking around in the mud.

My chickens are free range and this one likes to roost outside the coop so I doubt the coop is the problem. If I remember in the morning I'll add a photo of the coop.

I ordered the tricide neo so I'll try that. Fortunately, he's walking fine and doesn't seem to be in any pain so I'm hoping it's not infected.

Thanks for the advice!
Tricide Neo may or may not clear it up. Let us know if the Trineo works even if it's for the long haul.

Back
Top Bottom