Strange head movement from polish hen. *Video included*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Yorkshire Coop, Mar 10, 2016.

1. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Empty crops will gurgle, kind of like our stomachs do.

-Kathy

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @Yorkshire coop , a size 14-18 french catheter should work.

-Kathy

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Merry Christmas! Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

It could well be an injury. From the evidence I have, they have had a real go at her!

Thanks Kathy I will check that out. It's dark here now so I've just had a go at giving her more fluids but she doesn't want any. Not taking the drops from her beak now :( Don't know if to try again before I head to bed or just leave her be now she's quiet and settled :/

4. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Kim, so sorry to read about your pretty Polish girl. I hope things look better in the morning. [​IMG]

5. deacons

deacons Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Sending good vibes!

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

7. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

Thanks Debby :hugs
    So do I, she's one of my favourites :love

Thankyou :hugs

Will leave her now untill the morning. Fingers crossed I can go pick the tube up first thing :fl

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Kim, this looks neurological to me. Start with how you found her this morning....flat out and having difficulty breathing. Could be some sort of stroke or possibly an encephelitis (brain swelling) As you know I am dealing with a stroke patient right now....they can develope nervous ticks and lose mobility.

If she were my bird, I would get her under heat, on baby aspirin in case this is stroke or heart trouble and maybe some Amoxicillin or Doxycycline for possible respiratory and or brain swelling bacteria. I had a female quail contract a mosquito virus, EE, and she had weakness, brain swelling and nervous ticks for 8 months until she finally threw the virus and survived.

9. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Thankyou Leyla :hugs

How much aspirin and amoxicillin? I have four 250mg amoxicillin capsules. I can get baby aspirin in the morning.

I tell you, it never rains put it pours with my animals :hit

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I don't know about aspirin, but the amoxcillin dose listed in Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook is 125 mg per kilogram orally twice a day. 125 mg/kg is 57 mg per pound. If she weighs close to 700 grams it might be okay to give her as much as half a capsule twice a day.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by