Strange head movement from polish hen. *Video included*

Yay!!!!!
woot.gif
She looks good Kim!!!! Usually if they are eating, they are drinking, so I wouldn't worry about the drinking. She will drink if she is eating. I have found that sick birds LOVE slop! I mean sometimes with water floating on top!! LOL It's kind of like you being sick and all you can tolerate is soup or things that require no chewing or digesting. And once you get her past the critical stage, it never hurts to put a buddy in with her. I don't know if she is contagious, no doubt if she is, she has already contaminated the entire flock. (Usually they are contagious days before symptoms.) Anyway, you might put another bird in there with her for brief periods later today. Just being around others stimulates appetites and over all well being. I am doing that with Tillie and it makes a huge difference on the desire to eat and drink.

I would keep up with the meds for at least a week just to be sure. Keep us posted!! Yay!!!
hugs.gif

Thank you so much Leyla :hugs

She sure has enjoyed the slop! I'm going to have to clean her face up as she is looking like a toddler learning how to feed themselves :th It is literally all over but I can live with that as long as she is eating something. She has been eating now for most of the day with breaks in between for a nap but straight back into it once she is back up. We are heading towards evening here so I was thinking I would put her out in the crate tomorrow for a little while next to the others. A nice warmish Spring day is forecast for tomorrow so some fresh air and sun will do her the world of good. Plus as they all seem to pick on her no one can have a go if she is seperate but she still gets to see them all.

Will keep up with everything for her and fingers crossed she keeps getting better :fl

Hi Kim! I am so happy she is improving!!
hugs.gif

I think getting her out with the others is an excellent idea. It always helps to get them back with their buddies and to their old routine as possible. A gradual reintroduction so she doesn't tire and has time to recharge. And hopefully in a day or two she is back to her old self!

Keep us posted!! :)

Happy she is better York, Hope she is still improving this am. So, can you summarize this for me ? Do you believe it was wry neck as the vit. helped or maybe the others werent letting her eat also causing vit. def? Thoughts please
hugs.gif

Hi Kim! I am so happy she is improving!! :hugs

I think getting her out with the others is an excellent idea. It always helps to get them back with their buddies and to their old routine as possible. A gradual reintroduction so she doesn't tire and has time to recharge. And hopefully in a day or two she is back to her old self! 

Keep us posted!! :)

She really enjoyed her time out today and the sun made an appearance which was great, still a little weak but eating well and chatting away to me agian :D
I'm hoping to get her out in the small coop and run in a couple of days with one of the quiet ones before adding her back to the whole group.

How nice to hear things are improving! Good job Nurse Kim!

Thanks Debby :highfive:
It's such a relief she is making progress!

Happy she is better York, Hope she is still improving this am.  So, can you summarize this for me ?  Do you believe it was wry neck as the vit. helped or maybe the others werent letting her eat also causing vit. def?     Thoughts please :hugs

She is still getting better granny, a little weak but on the right track as of now. I'm thinking it was a bit of both. They have been bullying her so maybe she was not getting enough to eat then they have gone for her in the coop when she was weak and could have caused her an injury. I just can't be sure but something has worked with what she has had. I'm sure I just caught it in time or the weird head twitching could have gotten worse and then even hand feeding and watering becomes hard work.

Yes, bullying will weaken them to the point of exhaustion. It is possible she was not getting enough food and water. Maybe she had a seizure? I am just glad she is on the mend. :)

Hi Kim (Yorkshire Coop) - I have just found your thread, and I am glad that your bird is on the mend. I just wanted to add that the first time I had a really sick bird I tried her with pellets mixed with warm water. Not only did she love it - I found that all my other birds preferred wet mash to dry food. Now I put out two or three bowls of mash every morning, in addition to their freely available dry pellets. The mash disappears quickly, so I know they are getting a good amount of nutrition every day, along with the stuff that they free range in the 1000m² garden that they 'own'. (I also have a right to use the land, but my girls seem to have first dibs on everything there, including plants, dustbathing areas, borders etc!)

Back
Top Bottom