Strange head shaking and bobbing

happyhayshens

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 8, 2012
Morgan Hill, CA (South Bay Area)
Okay, so yesterday (5/28/12), one of our 8 week old Buff Orpington's started acting strangely. She would raise her head up and kind of dance her head and neck around like she had something stuck. At first, we thought it was funny, and then decided that something was wrong. There was not much on the site here except maybe an impacted croop. I read about the holding upside down and neck rubbing treatment. I warned my kids that she may not survive. There were tears, prayers and questions.

What I did was basically massage her neck, feeling for anything that felt wrong or impacted. Then I forced (with the help of a 6 year old nurse) down her mouth 5 drops of 50% ACV (Dr. Bragg's) and watched her. She seems to have stopped the strange movement.

When I was massaging her neck, she didn't struggle too much, like what I was doing seemed to feel good to her.

Anyway, I'll keep everyone posted on what happens, and if she survives. Right now, she is out with her coopmates, happily eating my tomato plants.

Last edited:
Reading about the neck bobbing, I have a hen doing that as well. I'm new to the site, could you refer me to where I can learn about neck rubbing treatment? Why the ACV? My hen is also sluggish and not eating. Thanks for the info!

If she really is eating your tomato plants that could be part of the problem. They are not good for chickens since they are in the nighshade family. I was going to say wry neck until you said she had gotten better.

I am pretty sure the leaves of a tomato plant are inedible for the most part. That could be a contributing factor. Even if not, I definitely would block them off from continuing to nibble on them.

Back
Top Bottom