Strange head shaking in my rooster

R.M.Qureshi

Songster
9 Years
Jun 20, 2011
Lahore , Pakistan
Dear members,

My rooster is shaking his head in a strange manner. Can any one identify what is causing this strange movement.
Other wise he is healthy and active . Crowing loudly, and mating agressively. Ear canals are clear. No lice or mites on the body.

Looking forward to yur valuable comments. Please have a look at the link below.

Thank you

Sorry that you have not had any possible information on the cause of this...

I did look at the video you posted...

I would check for any of the following:

Respiratory disease...listen closely to his breathing..any signs of discharge from eyes...nostrils ( nares)

Sinus infection is also a possibility

Lice/Mites...can also cause the mentioned symptoms

Have you recently treated for lice/mites ? If so...what product did you use ?

p.s. He is absolutely gorgeous!!!

Did you ever find out what's going on with your rooster? I have a spitzhauben, I think, that's doing the same thing. His head just goes everywhere and sometimes it's subtle and other times it's very dramatic. He doesn't do it all the time either, he goes through periods through out the day where he doesn't have any neck/head issues.

Did you ever find out what's going on with your rooster? I have a spitzhauben, I think, that's doing the same thing. His head just goes everywhere and sometimes it's subtle and other times it's very dramatic. He doesn't do it all the time either, he goes through periods through out the day where he doesn't have any neck/head issues.

Hi @Windyschickens :frow You have found an old thread:)
Shaking of the head like that could be adjusting the crop - check to make sure the crop is emptying overnight, that he is drinking and has a source of poultry grit (crushed granite/small stones) available. http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

While your checking his crop function - give his a going over to see if there are any lice/mites that he may have, don't forget to look in the ears too.

Just my thoughts.

I agree that first a crop problem should be looked for. Second, I would look for respiratory disease symptoms (nasal or eye drainage, sneeze) or ear mites. Lastly, some chickens develop neurological symptoms that can involve neck movements that almost look like a tic or involuntary movement. If you would like to start a new thread of your own, so more will take notice, post here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/create-thread

Back
Top Bottom