Strange holes in chicken run :/

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by 4hLuvers, Oct 6, 2009.

1. 4hLuvers

4hLuvers Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2008
    Bay Area CA
    Hi everyone!
    so i was just outside checking on the girls when i noticed these really strange holes in the ground. They are not like gopher holes (where they dirt is in a mound on top) its just a hole and it does make a trail. I immediatly though of a rat or a mouse but there isnt a hole on the other side of the fence. Theres two holes one right next to the other. I covered up the first one when it happened and at some point the mystery thing dug another. There is a cinderblock covering both holes right now. I live in california by the way if that has anything to do with what kind of animals would be around my house. Pleassseee post any input you have. I really hope its not a snake! [​IMG]

THANKS EVERYONE <3 <3 <3 [​IMG]

2. kdcrws

kdcrws Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
    Quote:it's probably just moles...

3. SurprisingWoman

SurprisingWoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    South Weber, UT
    Rats and mice can tunnel. You wouldn't have to see a hole on the other side of the fence. I have a multi level yard and I have mice holes leading from here to there alllll over the place.

When I removed my goldfish pond there was a mouse hole under there.... I still don't know why, it didn't go into the liner..... ?

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Snakes?

5. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Sounds like mice or rats to me. They do similar things here, almost as though they start a tunnel and they never finish.

6. plantguy90

plantguy90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Moorpark, CA
    Ground Squirrel

7. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    I hope your chickens are locked up in a preditor proof coop at night.

Install hardware cloth up the side of your run 2-3 feet and then apron out the rest and secure with tent pegs and/or dirt to prevent anything from digging under.

Good luck.

8. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    not sure what kinda holes ya got, but you can drop some mothballs down the holes and cover them up,whatever it is won't be comming threw that hole anymore.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  9. happi752

happi752 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Casa Grande
    you live in california. most likely it is a kangaroo rat.

10. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Are your chickens just dusting? Mine have dug out holes all over the yard for dusting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by