strange honking sound from pullet?

wwalding

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 7, 2010
Dothan,Alabama
I had a grown hen do the same thing for a few days. then she stoped. now i have a young pullet doing it. dont think it is a voice change. cause the older hen did the same thing.
wonder what it could be? i remember the older hen looking a little sick and not comming out to play when she was doing it. now the pullet is doing it. but at least she is moving about. she keeps her mouth open all the time then makes the strange honking sound. any ideas?

sounds like it could be a respiratory virus or something. I lost a hen when I first got chickens because I didn't recognize that what I heard as a "honk" was her version of a cough. By the time I realized she was sick, she had a bad respiratory infection and didn't survive despite antibiotics.
hit.gif
She didn't show any other symptoms like eye bubbles or facial swelling, but later I had others who did. I hope you get to the bottom of it quickly.

I had a hen making a honking gasping sound. She was open mouth breathing. Her crop was rock hard. I had to massage her crop for hours. After a lot of work - hers and mine - she gagged, liquid came out and finally she was back to normal. This all resulted from feeding my girls raw potaoe peels. Feel her crop and see if it's really hard. She may need your help as described above.

I hope she makes a quick recovery.

yea i didnt have to do anything.. i was watching her and finaly a bunch of liquid came out.. and she is not doing the sound anymore. so i guess she fixed herself...:) thanks for the info though...

Quote:
I'm glad she is not in distress anymore. But I have never heard of putting DE in the water before.
hu.gif
Well, I'm glad she's better.

Some respritory problems can be solved by mixing some garlic in with some scratch and giving it to them. It clears their breathing systems.

Back
Top Bottom