strange lameness in chick/neuro?

cluckmistress

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 18, 2009
Hello,

I have 3 chicks, about 3 months old, who developed this type of lameness. I've also seen it happen in several adults over the years. The symptoms are inability to walk, and eventually to stand at all, but the legs themselves are fine. The chickens want to push back, and stretch the legs way out in front and hyperextend them, pushing up onto the tip-toes to the point of turning their toes under. It seems like one leg wants to push forward and the other off to the side or behind them. They are pushing to straighten with alot of force, and it's hard to bend the leg into the right position. Once it's in the natural position they can relax and just sit. But as soon as they try to move, their legs just don't follow the instructions. It's like the commands from the brains to the legs are getting scrambled.

No paralysis and no other neurological signs.

Eating and drinking is normal

No apparent pain, although they protest when I try to put their legs back into proper position

They don't appear ill

I eventually euthanized the first two, and received the third one in an earlier stage of the problem. I wrapped her legs and feet to keep her from sticking them straight out to the sides and to try to keep everything in the right sockets. It helped for awhile but of course it has progressed so now she is pretty much unable to move around.

The lady who sent them to me has many other healthy babies and has not seen this before. I would think Marek's except for no paralysis in legs or wings, no illness or other neuro signs, and they have lots of strength in their legs. They just can't use them right.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Linda
Virgina Beach, VA

If this isn't Mareks disease, I would start thinking it might be a severe vitamin deficiency or botulism. It would probably benefit you to start with vitamins and a bit of selenium added, since that would do no harm.

Hello,

I have 3 chicks, about 3 months old, who developed this type of lameness. I've also seen it happen in several adults over the years. The symptoms are inability to walk, and eventually to stand at all, but the legs themselves are fine. The chickens want to push back, and stretch the legs way out in front and hyperextend them, pushing up onto the tip-toes to the point of turning their toes under. It seems like one leg wants to push forward and the other off to the side or behind them. They are pushing to straighten with alot of force, and it's hard to bend the leg into the right position. Once it's in the natural position they can relax and just sit. But as soon as they try to move, their legs just don't follow the instructions. It's like the commands from the brains to the legs are getting scrambled.

No paralysis and no other neurological signs.

Eating and drinking is normal

No apparent pain, although they protest when I try to put their legs back into proper position

They don't appear ill

I eventually euthanized the first two, and received the third one in an earlier stage of the problem. I wrapped her legs and feet to keep her from sticking them straight out to the sides and to try to keep everything in the right sockets. It helped for awhile but of course it has progressed so now she is pretty much unable to move around.

The lady who sent them to me has many other healthy babies and has not seen this before. I would think Marek's except for no paralysis in legs or wings, no illness or other neuro signs, and they have lots of strength in their legs. They just can't use them right.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Linda
Virgina Beach, VA
I know this is a long shot, but I’ve been searching the internet for someone who has gone through this same thing. My chick is 10 weeks old and doing exactly what you described to be going on with yours.
Did you even find out why or what was causing it, or how to fix it?

Back
Top Bottom