1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Strange looking egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amandajane, Oct 14, 2011.

1. amandajane

amandajane New Egg

Apr 28, 2011
    Please can someone tell me how I post a photo on here? One of my chickens laid a strange looking egg this morning, normal egg shape, hard shell but very white with brown raised patterns on it. Usually they lay normal plain brown eggs. I have a photo on my pc but do not know how to post it.

Do you think this is something I should worry about?

Thanks,

Amanda

2. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    I wouldn't worry about it. None of my hens produces an identical egg everytime. All eggs are white when the shell forms in the shell gland then they are colored as they pass through the oviduct. The coloring takes place in just the last few hours of the eggs travel to the vent. Brown eggs can have their color removed with sandpaper or vinegar so the color isn't very deep. Here is an article on how eggs get their color if you're interested:

http://pubs.acs.org/cen/whatstuff/84/8434egg.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by