Strange neck behavior

If not, she probably just has enough blockage to really irritate her. There is information on impacted and sour crop in the first link in my signature. You say her crop has been large for a long time, does she have access to grit?

If she appears to be yawning, though, I would say it is gapeworm, which I believe can be treated with a broad spectrum wormer. That first link in my signature also has information about treating worms. You may want to research gapeworm to see if that could be the issue.

44946_img_0449.jpg

Ok, well, that's not the best picture of her. But I put her in the brooder and thought she was a goner. Does this seem like what she has? I treated her with baby vitamins in her water. I also did a round of antibiotics, as well.

I don't think the best thing was separating her out. The others were not bothering her, but I felt that she needed more care. It was also more convenient to check on her at night. When I put her back with the rest of the flock, I kept her separated by a fence for a few days. She still does her neck thing when she is stressed, (like if I am standing directly over her) but she is a good hen, and lays her eggs!

Quote:
I'm not entirely clear what you mean. Is her neck always like shown in the picture or does she put her head up at all? There is information about treating wry neck in the first link in my signature, but if she is able to hold her head up properly, that may not be what you are dealing with.

Anianna - I will read through the link, thanks. Yes, she has access to grit, and has a pretty well rounded diet with supplements too.

Images, it's hard to tell at that angle. I am going to try to get a video of it tomorrow. she's put herself to bed for the night now, so I can't get a pic. She's my favorite girl, she's quite a comedian
smile.png
Freaks me out to think there's something wrong with her.

I am going to check her crop first thing in the morning. I never thought about doing it early. Like I said, she's always been big and wobbly, but I got a good feel of it tonight so I will compare it in the morning.

Quote:
My bird does not have any crop issues and the bulge at the side of the neck is more of a muscular tightness, to aid this uncontrolled neck movement. What exactly IS wry neck??

I'm treating wry neck right now- not sure based on what you have said if that's what you have going on, but maybe my photos and descriptions could be helpful. My guy's wry neck began with a head tilt, then odd neck movements, then sleeping upside down, then the neck went totally twisted and he could not move without dragging his head between his feet on the ground. If it is wry neck, I have had amazing success treating mine- wry neck isn't a death sentence!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=517126

Quote:
Does wry neck always become so bad? I mean can they have a slight case of it? I thought about vitamins and possibly not enough Vitamin E so I will, a few times a week add a vitamin powder mix especially made for chickens and gamebirds, to the water and I always notice a huge improvement, however I am never sure it is the vitamins or not. It could be just a coincidence.

But after reading your post, I am thinking that keeping up with the vitamins is a good thing and does help with my baby. I was always worried about adding more vitamins to her diet that is already rich in vitamins in the crumbles.

Thanks for your advise!
smile.png

This is my first experience with it- and maybe if I had really caught it and treated it early, it would not have gotten to the serious point it was at. I noticed little things, but thought maybe I was imagining things. I think that my waiting probably did the poor bird a disservice- but I didn't want to separate and treat a bird that I did not know was really ill. In the future though, I will know what to look at early on and nip it in the bud.

Back
Top Bottom