Strange Nesting Boxes

Housefullofhens

Chirping
Feb 22, 2019
Gibsonburg, Ohio
My husband & I spent a nice chunk of money making nice nesting boxes for our chickens. All they want to do in the nesting boxes is roost on the sides of them & poop in them. We started using cleaned out Tidy Cat liter buckets to carry feed in. We would occasionally leave a bucket or 2 of feed in the coop for easy access for us & we would just scoop the feed into the trough that we built. They will ONLY lay their eggs in these buckets. Needless to say, we now have 5 Tidy Cat buckets in our coop & the nice nesting boxes have now been removed. Does anyone else have weird places their chickens prefer to lay eggs?
9CDFDE48-FDB1-4AC1-B310-8534BA3F1628.jpeg

I've had hens lay in the strangest places too, regardless of whether or not it was private lol And they had more than enough nest boxes, which did get used too...

Some alternative "nests" that comes to mind is our laundry basket, kitchen cupboard if we left the doors open, on our bed in the mornings, sometimes while my ex was still in it (talk about breakfast in bed?) An old washing machine...

DSC02468.jpg

When we built our hoop coop we had an old set of laying boxes, but needed more. I went to Lowes and Home Depot and bought their buckets, had my husband build a frame and the hens went in immediately. I have since replaced the buckets with a row of wooden, partitioned boxes, which they also use. Recently, a few hens have begun flying over our fence and laying their eggs in the sheep hay. Yesterday, I put a basket out there and found 3 eggs last night. I don't mind them laying in other places, as long as I know where it is. A watchful eye can prevent a pile of eggs in a hidden nest.
Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 8.58.14 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 8.57.54 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 8.58.32 AM.png

My hens prefers Hilfiger towels and blankets In their nests before they will lay eggs. :D
Just kidding.

They are very smart creatures but they still have bird brains - safety instinct. If they feel that their future offsprings will not be safe in the nests you’ve made, they will scout and make their own. I have 14 nests for 30+ hens in different locations and made out of different materials. They use at least 8 of them and pile up eggs on 4 or 5 (I guess their fav) in the last 2 months some decided to make 2 more unreachable nest. One 2 feet up where I store their summer supplies behind the 4 nests, 2nd was 4’ up on a drawer I neglected to set up for nesting and some occasions find 1 or two eggs in the coop corners. Go figure!

2CE0E65B-A3E0-4E94-9998-8F4D9C271010.jpeg

70C8B89B-AE80-4DB3-97FD-62271E22A753.jpeg

This is probably the most unusual place I found an egg. It actually happened twice. :eek:
IMG_8007.JPG
IMG_8009.JPG

Basically, that shelf is about 6.5' up. It was supposed to be a nice place for me to keep my cleaning bucket & other chicken supplies. The chickens thought otherwise & started sleeping up there - knocking everything to the ground. Fearing the danger of a falling bucket hitting a bird below, my supplies went back into the garage & the hens got another place to roost.:rant

Of course there are times that a hen decides this high, open shelf is a good place to lay an egg. Since there is no ledge, the outcome is often a "splat"on the ground. Once a hen's egg rolled backwards & got stuck (photo above). We grew out some turkeys last summer and ended up keeping one through the winter. She started laying in January. Of course she ALWAYS lays her eggs up there, so the second time this happened, it was a turkey egg.

Back
Top Bottom