Strange orange ring in my hens yolks

@NorthTexasWink
I'm so glad you talked to your mom, such great insight. Just to add... I get so many eggs each week that I have about 25 eggs left from last week. I started breaking more yesterday evening out of curiosity look them over again. Some had the dark orange yolk (on the outside) as seen in the picture, but even more looked completely normal on the outside. Once I broke the yolk, there it was, a dark orange ribbon that oozed about.
I totally agree with your moms analogy of the "tree". It seemed to be in different areas of the egg. It is just odd that the orange is in different areas of the yolk. I need to really study up on egg development and get a good understanding of it all.
We all strive to have a nice dark orange yolk... However, the crawfish kind of orange can indeed freak people out. I returned the money on the "Saturn" eggs even though they were perfectly fine to eat. People's comfort zones only go so far, LOL. I have a talk with everyone that gets my eggs about 'meat' spots. My goodness... I think to myself, it's amazing how people expect perfection from a chicken that lays an egg on average 5 days a week. I get the response, are you sure its okay to eat, I don't see this in my store eggs??:barnie:th

My goodness... I think to myself, it's amazing how people expect perfection from a chicken that lays an egg on average 5 days a week. I get the response, are you sure its okay to eat, I don't see this in my store eggs??

So true! My hens are just starting to lay so I'm getting tiny ones and larger ones. Some get laid with no shell or a soft shell which I obviously discard. My husband just the other day admitted he's afraid to eat the eggs! I asked him why and he said exactly that..."they don't look like store eggs". I replied, along with an eye roll, "but we know what goes into our chickens so regardless of egg size, right out of the gate I feel better about our eggs and that's the whole point". He's still pondering that response! lol!

I then told him the quiche I had made that he commented was so good was made with "our" eggs, large and small. Geesh!

Interesting thread though about feeding shell fish and orange rings. I haven't fed my hens any but good educational post!

I started breaking more yesterday evening out of curiosity look them over again. Some had the dark orange yolk (on the outside) as seen in the picture, but even more looked completely normal on the outside. Once I broke the yolk, there it was, a dark orange ribbon that oozed about.
Should boil some then slice carefully and at varied positions. :D

@Patinas Well one of the reasons store eggs look so perfect is that any irregular eggs are sorted out and - get this - used for things where perfect looking eggs don't matter - like cake mix, mayo, desserts, dough and such. So your husband is probably eating more "weird" eggs than he realizes. And probably more than he eats "perfect" eggs! :lau

speaking of different boiling methods, I do something a little different. I bring the water to a boil, put the eggs in a metal basket, and put the basket in the water, lower the temp to a simmer and then wait however long it takes to cook them to the level of doneness I want (sometimes I want them hard boiled, sometimes I would rather them be slightly soft in the middle), then pull out and put the entire basket in cold water (not ice water, we don't have an ice maker so we don't have ice in our house). They all peel quite nicely.

@Patinas Well one of the reasons store eggs look so perfect is that any irregular eggs are sorted out and - get this - used for things where perfect looking eggs don't matter - like cake mix, mayo, desserts, dough and such. So your husband is probably eating more "weird" eggs than he realizes. And probably more than he eats "perfect" eggs! :lau

I should snap a pic of the look of horror on his face when I tell him this!

Weird thing is, my daughter stopped by yesterday and had a friend with her and my daughter asked for eggs so I opened the carton to show her and her friend immediately said she could not eat them because the small ones scared her!! At least now DH will know he's not alone in his egg phobia.

People pay boocoo bucks for tiny little quail eggs, barely cooked, on their fancy gourmet food at fine dining establishments. Tiny eggs, like tiny houses, are "in"! Tell daughter's friend she's an uneducated yolk-el. :duc Oops, sorry. My hipster foodie is showing. :lau

I want to see that pic of hubby when you tell him!

I should snap a pic of the look of horror on his face when I tell him this!

Weird thing is, my daughter stopped by yesterday and had a friend with her and my daughter asked for eggs so I opened the carton to show her and her friend immediately said she could not eat them because the small ones scared her!! At least now DH will know he's not alone in his egg phobia.
Why on earth are people scared of little eggs??? Maybe they should see quail eggs...

I'm going to poke a hole in your crawfish theory. I just opened up a HB egg and it has orange rings! Other than veggie scaps I don't toss much to my ladies, I haven't given them any seafood.

Meant to ask, could the eggs be fertile? Could be a very very early embryo.
Fertile or not, there shouldn't be an embryo unless the egg has been incubated 'round the clock for at least 24 hours (and even at that, the development wouldn't be noticeable).

The ring in the cooked egg looks under cooked to me. I have never seen such a thing in raw eggs.

Back
Top Bottom