Rewest

In the Brooder
May 11, 2021
Hi everyone,

I have a 15 week old bluebell that has just done a strange kind of poop.

she looks really well & she’s eating, drinking well & seems happy/lively enough.

Does anyone have any idea if this looks normal or an indication of something to worry about?...
It‘s not pretty, I do apologise.

Thanks in advance,
Maria

Attachments

• 15B8B7B4-1E41-4C08-B8EB-2C22718CDF6A.jpeg
    15B8B7B4-1E41-4C08-B8EB-2C22718CDF6A.jpeg
    599.7 KB · Views: 14
It does not look normal. Do you have any Corid on hand? I would start treating for coccidiosis with the looks of that. The bloody part may just be intestinal lining which is normal, but it should not be mucus like and white like that.

It does not look normal. Do you have any Corid on hand? I would start treating for coccidiosis with the looks of that. The bloody part may just be intestinal lining which is normal, but it should not be mucus like and white like that.
Thanks for your reply :)
I do have some Corid.
I‘ve Just been googling and seen some poo just like it that has been associated with Clostridium perfringens. Is that something to do with cocci?
I‘ve no idea, but always reluctant to treat them until I’m as sure As I can be because I think it can do more harm than good sometime.

Thanks for your reply :)
I do have some Corid.
I‘ve Just been googling and seen some poo just like it that has been associated with Clostridium perfringens. Is that something to do with cocci?
I‘ve no idea, but always reluctant to treat them until I’m as sure As I can be because I think it can do more harm than good sometime.
I don’t know about that! Let me summon some experts....

@Wyorp Rock
@Eggcessive

Hi everyone,

I have a 15 week old bluebell that has just done a strange kind of poop.

she looks really well & she’s eating, drinking well & seems happy/lively enough.

Does anyone have any idea if this looks normal or an indication of something to worry about?...
It‘s not pretty, I do apologise.

Thanks in advance,
Maria
What are you feeding, including treats?

If you have a local vet who would let you bring in a few droppings to do a fecal float and a gram stain for C. Perfringens, that would be good. I would worm the chickens with Valbazen 1/2 ml orally and repeat in 10 days. SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer could also be used 1.25 ml orally for 5 days. Those dosages are for a 5-6 pound chicken. Corid would not hurt them, but coccidiosis is usually a bit more common in younger birds. Corid should be used before an antibiotic if C. Perfringens is treated. Worms are also a cause for concern.

What are you feeding, including treats?
Hey,
Just medicated growers pellets. They’ve never had any treats yet except a tiny bit of Melon yesterday.
I’m fermenting some feed for them too but they’ve not had it yet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    571.2 KB · Views: 3
If you have a local vet who would let you bring in a few droppings to do a fecal float and a gram stain for C. Perfringens, that would be good. I would worm the chickens with Valbazen 1/2 ml orally and repeat in 10 days. SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer could also be used 1.25 ml orally for 5 days. Those dosages are for a 5-6 pound chicken. Corid would not hurt them, but coccidiosis is usually a bit more common in younger birds. Corid should be used before an antibiotic if C. Perfringens is treated. Worms are also a cause for concern.
that sounds like a plan. Thank you. Just have to find a vet that will help. two of our local vets don’t see chickens annoyingly. I took one there a couple of years ago and it looked liked they’d never seen a chicken before. Crazy.

Just by you telling what you feed, I assume you are in the UK?
Hopefully you can find a vet that can help you - it can be difficult to find dewormers, coccidiostats, etc. over the counter in the UK, so having a vet to work with will be a little easier for you.

Just by you telling what you feed, I assume you are in the UK?
Hopefully you can find a vet that can help you - it can be difficult to find dewormers, coccidiostats, etc. over the counter in the UK, so having a vet to work with will be a little easier for you.
Yeah I‘m in the U.K.
It really does seem to be an issue around here. And I live in Lincolnshire surrounded by all sorts of farm animals.
I might nip to a farm and ask them for a farm vets number.
I honestly know more about my chickens than my local vets do.
previously I’ve just done the research and told them what I think it is and they just write me a prescription for whatever I think, and I still get charged £35 for consultation.
Ive had about 30 chickens for 5 years now and am always learning!
More often than not they just need a little extra tlc away from the others And they‘re right as rain in no time.

Back
Top Bottom