I'm glad to read she's doing better.
The combs on the chickens that I had die were much darker purple than the pictures above, so maybe that's a good sign.
Also, the poop was bright green and the pictures above don't look right, but they don't look that bad either.
A few pictures help a lot in such cases.

4 1/2 year buff Orpington

Leg turning black

Weight loss

So We brought her To the vet on Wednesday and he said that she was in the last stages of Reproductive cancer. He said she was far enough Along and doing badly enough that she wouldn’t make it through surgery.

she started putting both of her feet completely behind her and they were sorta red. And so I keep tucking her wings back in and making sure she’s stable

But again we don’t know what she has we really don’t think she has cancer but maybe she does actually have cancer?
I'm sorry about your hen. It sounds like you are doing everything you can for her.
I am not a vet nor am I an expert - just a backyard chicken keeper like you. I would agree with your vet to the point that she has a reproductive problem. It very well could be cancer. Most of the time we do not know what the exact cause of illness is until after the hen dies and a necropsy is performed.

The leg turning black is concerning for sure. In the photo it looks like she has a swollen abdomen, the discomfort she has when being moved and the shortness of breath symptom you describe would lead me to believe she has fluid in the belly - but I could be wrong. A lot of times reproductive problems are accompanied by Ascites which is an accumulation of fluid in the abdomen and surrounds the internal organs - this fluid can make it hard to breath and organ function is impacted as well.

If you have not done so - you can try antibiotics to see if those help with any infection, but the effects are usually short lived - at end stage, they can be used to give some relief.

I do know it's hard, we become attached to them and it seems like favorites are always the ones that get sick.

image-jpg.1531001

She seems to be doing this again except her foot isn’t turning dark this time she seems to have lots of energy today and seem to be trying to get up but it make me uncomfortable when she lays like this. And I can’t seem to get her to unclench her one foot to really place it firmly under her. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    561.7 KB · Views: 15
She may be more comfortable in that position? Maybe it relieves some pressure on something - it would be hard to know. Chickens with Marek's disease sometimes seem to get in that position as well - do the legs seem to be paralyzed?

You can try making her a chicken sling to help keep her upright and this may make her comfortable. She would need to be monitored, some chickens do well in a sling, others panic or flip out of it. There are more photos on Google, so just search "chicken sling" I attached one picture so you get the idea.

sling+2.png

images

I know you want to save her but she is probably dying .The yellow poo was from a broken egg ...I wouldnt feed her spagetti - that doesnt have very many nutrients . Feed her someting easy . cooked Scrambled egg or little pieces of grape or banana

She’s still with us and seems to still seem to be doing fine besides not standing or eating on her own she’s finally drinking on her own 90%of the time. At this point with it being so hit or miss on getting her to eat much at all I’m fine with her eating spaghetti she’s eating plenty of other things as well she sbeen eating cheese, bacon, grapes, blueberries, yogurt, raspberries, rice, bread, corn, oatmeal, live grasshoppers, live moths and other bugs, as well as a bunch of other stuff. We also have her on a vitamin electrolyte mix, as well as anti bios, and some Apple cider vinegar in her water. Plus if she’s really gonna die then at least she’ll have eaten what she likes and will have been happy. Plus I’d rather her have a full stomach than an empty on and die of starvation. I know spaghetti isn’t the most nutritious meal ever but I’m glad she at least is willing to eat it and get some Carbohydrates in her that will help her out by giving her energy and strength. She’s been very talkative lately and more alert so that’s a plus. I don’t know what will happen, but I’m glad I have you guys to help us out.

She may be more comfortable in that position? Maybe it relieves some pressure on something - it would be hard to know. Chickens with Marek's disease sometimes seem to get in that position as well - do the legs seem to be paralyzed?

You can try making her a chicken sling to help keep her upright and this may make her comfortable. She would need to be monitored, some chickens do well in a sling, others panic or flip out of it. There are more photos on Google, so just search "chicken sling" I attached one picture so you get the idea.

sling+2.png

images
Hey she’s still sticking around we tried out your idea and she’s finally eating a lot again first day in one of these and she ate a bunch of grapes, scrambled eggs, blueberries, raspberries, corn, cheese, and chicken feed!! She hasn’t eaten her chicken feed since before she got the flu strike!! This is huge in her book!! This was by far the most effective suggestion. That’s made the largest impact so far! She’s also been more talkative and hasn’t been flapping around! It’s also helped the swelling on her legs go down completely! Or next to completely at least! And she also seems to be breathing better! It’s also helped prevent soars on her body and help speed up the healing on the ones she had. She hasn’t been drinking really at all the last week or so but we’ve been able to keep her hydrated with grapes and watermelon and such things! Especially now that’s she’s willing to eat a lot more! Thank you so much again for your amazing suggestions/advice!!

Hey she’s still sticking around we tried out your idea and she’s finally eating a lot again first day in one of these and she ate a bunch of grapes, scrambled eggs, blueberries, raspberries, corn, cheese, and chicken feed!! She hasn’t eaten her chicken feed since before she got the flu strike!! This is huge in her book!! This was by far the most effective suggestion. That’s made the largest impact so far! She’s also been more talkative and hasn’t been flapping around! It’s also helped the swelling on her legs go down completely! Or next to completely at least! And she also seems to be breathing better! It’s also helped prevent soars on her body and help speed up the healing on the ones she had. She hasn’t been drinking really at all the last week or so but we’ve been able to keep her hydrated with grapes and watermelon and such things! Especially now that’s she’s willing to eat a lot more! Thank you so much again for your amazing suggestions/advice!!
Glad to hear that she is improving a little!
Thank you for the update:)

Back
Top Bottom