Strange sounds, change in behavior, black pebbly poop

Ckdawn

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2022
Hello, we inherited our girls when we bought our home 9 months ago and they’re part of the family. We’re stumped by this combo of symptoms and are so grateful for your time and brainstorming support!

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Specific type and age unknown- inherited without any info about them. She’s approx. 4-5years old we were told. Average weight- no noticeable change.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
One of our girls started making strange sounds a few days ago (or just different for her). One sounds like a police motorcycle chirp and she has growled like a cat the past two days I’ve opened the run door in the morning instead of her usual greeting/running right out. Sounds are generally lower and growl-like. Doesn’t appear broody. She’s slow to come down from the roost in the morning but once she’s out she seems fine. Laid sat., sun., monday but not today. She’s eating feed and treats, and drinking water as of tonight. She has had diarrhea on and off but currently is pooping strange black pebble poops in water (pic attached) or tar-like poops. When you break apart the pebbles it looks like dry grass- and stained our concrete (pic attached).

Some opening her mouth/neck outstretched yesterday but not today. No signs of mites or lice but we can take a closer look. Crop felt like a hard golf ball this afternoon but will check in the morning.

Otherwise acting fine.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Diarrhea off/on for two weeks, strange vocalizations and pebble poop 3 days

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Unknown cause: but providing this info for more context;

There are field mice in the coop- have been for some time. We inherited an old coop that despite all our best efforts has proven impossible to mouse proof. In the process of building a new coop in a different location. They have access to frequently changed water, food and the yard.

Also a large squirrel currently burrowing into the center of their run from below . We do not have access to the run (chain link, no door) so currently bringing rocks over the top to close holes. Could this be a stressor? (Another reason for the new coop!)

Building a new coop, area is now closed off but wasn’t fora period of time while my husband was working- could she have ingested treated wood shavings which are making her sick?

Haven’t bbqd in months but found small pieces of natural hardwood lump charcoal in the yard- could she be randomly eating that now for some reason? (They free range daily- always have since we moved in and this is a new issue)

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Yes, layer feed, scraps and treats.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Runny, black grassy and dry pebbles in clear liquid, or black tar

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Limited access to the yard in case of something in the environment, ACV in water, plain yogurt for probiotics, no other treatment yet but will check her crop in the morning and take her to the vet/send in fecal sample if needed.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
We will take her to the vet

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Poop is posted

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Straw bedding

Attachments

• 512D1753-7D8B-4281-B796-716C40BD0CAE.jpeg
    512D1753-7D8B-4281-B796-716C40BD0CAE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
The poop appears to have decaying vegetation in it or charcoal from dirt bathing and ingesting fire ash.

Her behavior seems to be pre-broody. She may continue to lay eggs until she goes completely broody, then will graft herself to a nest for the duration. When that happens, you can either give her fertile eggs to incubate or break her of her broodiness. Your decision.

Could it be something she ate? Her dropping don’t look normal, they look like they have a lot of grass in them, do you feel any in her crop? @azygous
Thank you for your response- I totally agree with you- this poop doesn’t look right! Her crop had the same hard walnut feel to it this morning. But then again, I wasn’t able to pick her up to get a good feel- just a quick once over while she first started eating (not ideal but the only way she’s distracted long enough to touch her) I’m unable to get into the run because of the way it was constructed by the previous owner, we’re building a new one. I’ll need my husband’s help to pick her up and get a good feel and make sure I’m not feeling her sternum? She’s active, eating and drinking so it’s a confusing set of symptoms. Our grass is always cut short- not sure where it all came from except that we’ve let them out to range in the shade more recently since it’s been warming up.

The poop appears to have decaying vegetation in it or charcoal from dirt bathing and ingesting fire ash.

Her behavior seems to be pre-broody. She may continue to lay eggs until she goes completely broody, then will graft herself to a nest for the duration. When that happens, you can either give her fertile eggs to incubate or break her of her broodiness. Your decision.
Thank you for your help, I’ll check the yard again for ash/charcoal. We haven’t bbq’d in months and no fires, but there was some old hardwood charcoal laying around so maybe she decided to start snacking on it. I’ll watch for more signs of broodiness and make a decision from there. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom