Strange Stippled Silkie Eggs (Pic)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NeuronSauce, Mar 5, 2012.

1. NeuronSauce

NeuronSauce Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2011
    I've been getting eggs like this for the past couple of weeks. There are thousands of tiny pigmented indentations all over the shell, and when I clean the eggs, they shed their tint very readily. The eggs look fine on the inside, and seem fairly hard. Some sort of calcium deficiency or a parasite of some sort...? The birds were all wormed at the beginning of last month with ivermectin.[​IMG]

2. BerrytangleFarm

BerrytangleFarm British and Scandinavian Poultry

Looks like my porous eggs. Give 'em some oyster shells.

3. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    The tint you're scrubbing off could be the egg's bloom - the hen adds a 'bloom' on each egg prior to it leaving her body to protect it from bacteria. When you remove the bloom, you're removing some of the protective coating on the egg.

I don't wash my eggs - just rub any dirt off (mud season, so if I don't get each egg before another hen goes into the boxes, her dirty feet mark up the eggs!) with a DRY paper towel and put in refrigerator.

4. NeuronSauce

NeuronSauce Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2011
    I want to mention that these were not silkie eggs.

They were guinea eggs.

I hatched "chicks" out from under my girls this morning. Yeah... half of them were keets. >>;;;

Same size, same color as silkie eggs... only dimpled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by