Strange symptoms

Presnell5

Songster
Oct 11, 2018
Santa Maria California
Hi! So I have a chicken with some strange symptoms. Started off noticing she was a little withdrawn. She’s my most curious friendly chicken. Then noticed she was preoccupied with her feet. Biting at them and holding one up, then the other. So I thought mites. Looked at her feet they seemed ok. Maybe a little rough but not bad. So I put on some Vaseline and squirted a little poultry spray under her wings and on her vent area just in case she had any mites. Ive been meaning to treat the whole flock and will soon. today she just wanted to hide and I noticed her breathing is really labored. so I brought her inside gave heating pad, dressed her legs in blu-cote, gave nutri-drench vitamins and vet rx although, im not sure I know what im doing with the vet rx. She has runny white poop and is opening her mouth to breath and when she lays down her whole body is moving with her breaths. her face seems to be a darker color also. she will be resting and then make a bothered noise and stand up to peck at herself and her feet. im not sure which way to go. also she is a 4 month old barred rock not laying

Hi! So I have a chicken with some strange symptoms. Started off noticing she was a little withdrawn. She’s my most curious friendly chicken. Then noticed she was preoccupied with her feet. Biting at them and holding one up, then the other. So I thought mites. Looked at her feet they seemed ok. Maybe a little rough but not bad. So I put on some Vaseline and squirted a little poultry spray under her wings and on her vent area just in case she had any mites. Ive been meaning to treat the whole flock and will soon. today she just wanted to hide and I noticed her breathing is really labored. so I brought her inside gave heating pad, dressed her legs in blu-cote, gave nutri-drench vitamins and vet rx although, im not sure I know what im doing with the vet rx. She has runny white poop and is opening her mouth to breath and when she lays down her whole body is moving with her breaths. her face seems to be a darker color also. she will be resting and then make a bothered noise and stand up to peck at herself and her feet. im not sure which way to go. also she is a 4 month old barred rock not laying
Please post some photos of the pullet, her legs, her feet and the bottom of her feet too and her poop. Tips for photos - make them clear and in good lighting, upload full size so we can expand them. Thank you.

What are you feeding including treats?

Is she able to move away from the heating pad? If not, make sure she can, she may not need to extra heat.

Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight.

Ok I’ll take pictures tomorrow. Her feet are stained blue now probably should have done the pics first.
I don’t really give treats except for boss in the evening to get them back in the coop. They are on All flock… I have some laying hens that just started laying and just switched them all over to that a few days ago….and I turned off her heating pad because I think you’re right she didn’t really need it
Actually they have been eating my tomatoes from my plants….

Please post some photos of the pullet, her legs, her feet and the bottom of her feet too and her poop. Tips for photos - make them clear and in good lighting, upload full size so we can expand them. Thank you.

What are you feeding including treats?

Is she able to move away from the heating pad? If not, make sure she can, she may not need to extra heat.

Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight.

Attachments

• B5F12335-A638-4370-807E-02AD531EED75.jpeg
    B5F12335-A638-4370-807E-02AD531EED75.jpeg
    338.9 KB · Views: 6
  • C382D741-E9D7-42CC-9F80-C21600424BA2.jpeg
    C382D741-E9D7-42CC-9F80-C21600424BA2.jpeg
    312.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 337DAB84-E2E5-4A73-BE2F-5E06043E969A.jpeg
    337DAB84-E2E5-4A73-BE2F-5E06043E969A.jpeg
    344 KB · Views: 6
  • A95EFF83-29DE-493E-88D1-57F012F96B3B.jpeg
    A95EFF83-29DE-493E-88D1-57F012F96B3B.jpeg
    428.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 2A5547BB-8055-4B80-9C59-94D9CC7992D4.jpeg
    2A5547BB-8055-4B80-9C59-94D9CC7992D4.jpeg
    388.8 KB · Views: 6
I’m less worried about her feet at this point. She is just gasping and really doing poorly. I’ve put vetrx on her head and beak I just don’t know what else to do for her. She’s not eating anymore and her crop is empty

When I noticed her feet I put Vaseline on them and then put a tiny spray of poultry mite spray under her wings back of neck and on vent area…. Do you think that could be messing with her breathing?

She may be hot.

Not sure what's going on with the legs and why she would be pecking at them.
What do you normally feed including treats?

I'd get some poultry vitamins into her, 1 Calcium Citrate tablet, then plain cool water. See that she's eating her normal feed.
The poop's not quite right. Is her crop emptying overnight?

Has she ever been wormed?

Back
Top Bottom