Strange thing attached to egg

Hard to know if both those came from the same bird...I would guess not.

Ok, so the silkie I was talking about, who was broody and came out of it about a week and a half ago and who was sitting in the nesting box all day, is acting really strange. She Has only come out once and this is what her poo looks like. She also looks really puffed up and slightly lethargic.
When I have a bird that is acting 'off' I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling. Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

Did the gooey stuff smell?
No? It seemed ordorless? When she first became broody a couple weeks ago. I posted about her dropping having a bit of blood in them. It was just to droppings and then all went back to normal. It was the first day she began broody. She’s been normal since

Just an update: thanks for all the replies! I’m not exactly sure what was going on with her, but she seems back to her normal self. I think the yellow in her dropping some might have been some yolk. But it seems resolved now. Although, she hasn’t laid an egg since the incident a couple days ago. I really hope she still able to lay eggs and this didn’t mess her up permanently. On a good note the little egg I found was from a new layer, Rosie she laid another one for us today!

Back
Top Bottom