Strange white "spots" inside egg--what is it??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by linders, Sep 27, 2014.

1. linders

linders Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    I just cracked two fresh eggs and discovered something I've never seen before. I'm hoping somebody can shed some light on what's up with my eggs.

A small cluster, about the size of the tip of my pinky, of whitish little circles was inside the egg. Almost looked like teeny insect eggs all clustered together. I don't know how else to describe it but we've had layers for almost 2 years and I've never seen this before. It grossed me out! So I threw it away and cracked a second egg, same thing but with a smaller "cluster." WHAT is it?! Third egg had none..??

Thoughts?

2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    Is it on the yolk or in the egg white? a pic would help.
    my philosophy though is nothing on the inside of the egg shell is going to hurt you

3. linders

Mar 14, 2013
    It was in the white, not the yolk. I failed to take a picture, darn.

Is it at all possible that a parasite could be transferred through the egg?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  4. linders

Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  5. linders

Mar 14, 2013
    Any thoughts? I'm anxious to know because I need to bake with the remaining eggs I have here and I'm wondering if they're safe to eat?! Need to know if I should trek to the store to buy some or use the eggs I have?!

6. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    my guess with problems like these are that it is from an excess amount of calcium, or calcium build up. I would assume they are edible still, though its understandable if someone chooses not to eat them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by