Strange Wound - (See Closed Thread) "My neighbor shot at me"

Are you zoned agricultural?

Yes and no. We are on a street surrounded by ag zoned properties and farms. One farm having put up two chicken houses this last fall. Two $500K homes across the road from them are now up for sale. I guess the smell got to be too much for them, but what could they do? The built on farmland... I think it serves them well...

Our street has eight houses on it and the back street has five. Most of the properties have about 3 acres, save one or two who are nestled on 1 to 1.5. We have 3. The back street properties- including the problem neighbor, are nestled in a wood, part of which, we own. Some of us are zoned R1 but the neighborhood operates mostly Ag anyway, since it has since 1949 when the landowner built the first building in this area-- our house, and then he eventually sold of a few acres here and there to others. For instance, three of my neighbors have chickens with roosters and another two have to dozen goats each. This is not a problem for the existing neighbors who may be zoned R1.

This town has no laws against rooster noises, or the number of fowl one can keep on the property outside of the city limits. (And we're well outside.) Inside the city, hens and honeybees are allowed but they must be registered. Township R1 says nothing about poultry numbers or rooster noise.

The only stipulation is the addition of new buildings needing to be build so many feet from property lines and they require a permit to add buildings to a property- even a shed. My neighbor's goat barn already existed, as did our two sheds, one being the coop now. Mind you, my neighbors closest to us love my chickens (and they also have a full 3 acres as do the next three houses beyond a piece!!) It's the guy down in the woods who has the problem, and the nearby neighbors have all informed us that the problem neighbors on the back road are "strange birds" and "crazy."

Personally, I would see a lawyer. Get someone on your side. You are being harassed and there has to be something you can do about that. In the meantime, can you put up some plywood sheets against the side of the coop that the shooting comes from? I know its ugly, but just temp protection until you get up a fence.

Would have to go buy such materials honestly. :idunno Being newly weds, we haven't even accumulated that much junk to pile up back there.

Just keeping these fingers crossed that now that my boy Chip is gone (he's being commemorated in my profile pic currently), he'll think we don't have a rooster for a while. My one Sumatra is pretty quiet and only crows a few times a day. :oops:

Thanks for all of the input and helpful suggestions though! They are really comforting!! :hugs I was looking at security systems on Amazon this morning.

Do you have any animal rights people near you? These folks would help you if you can find a group close by. It has to be animal cruelty to shoot and wound your birds with a pellet riffle!
The sheriff here is a joke as well! Sorry the laws are to protect the guilty,,, this is why I have had a meth lab across the street for 20 years! They only get busted when their fines run out,,,
Also talk to wildlife and hunting control folks in your area. Here it is not legal for my bullet to cross the fence!

Back
Top Bottom