Strangulation in tongue mimics Wet Fowl Pox. (An important lesson learned)

Oh that sounds so good to hear she made it thru again! She is so special!!!
celebrate.gif

Cant wait to see some pix!
Marie

At this rate she is going to live to 15 years old! Glad she survived the dog! With all that she has gone threw she has earned being a little stinker.

Here are some updated pictures of Sunni!!

December: (5 days after our dog attacked her....
sad.png
)

A few days later:

January:

February:

March:

April:

MsChickenMomma & Sunni,
I want to thank you both for this thread. I found it last year after I first got our pullets outside in their own coop & run. I nearly had a heart attack when my Niece found one with a string hanging from the mouth. Dimitri had the string wrapped around the middle of her tongue, carefully removing it we found it was wrapped near the base too and starting to make the tongue discolored. We were able to get the string removed and she was in a crate for 2 days to make sure she was going to be ok. It took the swelling 24hrs to go down and be a normal looking tongue. (The string was from a bag of cement mix that had blown into the run)

We now make sure no threads get into coop or run, they are like little kids investigating everything with the mouth. Anything shiny, bright colored, has to be checked by pecking at it. If it wouldn't have been for your post we may have just pulled the thread further cutting circulation off to her tongue or damaging her more.

Dimitri is now a normal hen, lays roundish white eggs, has eyesight problem can't see very well close up, follows us around when allowed to come out. Expects us to hold the treats so she can get some.

Thank you!

MsChickenMomma & Sunni,
I want to thank you both for this thread. I found it last year after I first got our pullets outside in their own coop & run. I nearly had a heart attack when my Niece found one with a string hanging from the mouth. Dimitri had the string wrapped around the middle of her tongue, carefully removing it we found it was wrapped near the base too and starting to make the tongue discolored. We were able to get the string removed and she was in a crate for 2 days to make sure she was going to be ok. It took the swelling 24hrs to go down and be a normal looking tongue. (The string was from a bag of cement mix that had blown into the run)

We now make sure no threads get into coop or run, they are like little kids investigating everything with the mouth. Anything shiny, bright colored, has to be checked by pecking at it. If it wouldn't have been for your post we may have just pulled the thread further cutting circulation off to her tongue or damaging her more.

Dimitri is now a normal hen, lays roundish white eggs, has eyesight problem can't see very well close up, follows us around when allowed to come out. Expects us to hold the treats so she can get some.

Thank you!

I am so glad to hear that Dimitri is okay, and that you were able to help her.
hugs.gif
I always wish that I had found out about the string sooner, and saved Sunni the three months of pain that she went through, but then I tell myself that her story is going to help others, and that really helps.

So this post makes me happy, because it confirms what I have been telling myself, that other people are able to learn from my mistake.

Thanks!

Here are some updated pictures of Sunni!!

December: (5 days after our dog attacked her....
sad.png
)

A few days later:

January:

February:

March:

April:

Thanks for the update on Sunni,
I am so thankful for the miracle of her even being here. You are a good mama and you are both so lucky to have each other. What a blessing! She has the right name for sure, she looks like a ray of sunshine.
Adorable....
Marie

Hi Ashley and others,

So glad to see that Sunni has made it through all of her trials and tribulations. I was hoping you could offer some expert advice...

Today I noticed my duck has swelling under her beak. From you experience, does this look like it could be a constricted tongue? If so, do you have any advice on restraining the little one and pulling her tongue out to remove the foreign object? Also, how long would would I have before the damage is permanent? I just noticed it today, but have already put the ducks away for the night.

Hmm....... I'm not sure. With Sunni, it wasn't noticeable that she had something constricting her tongue.

Are you able to catch the duck and maybe have another person help you hold it while you look in its mouth? That's really the only way to know for sure what is going on.

As rapidly as Sunni's tongue started to swell up and become deformed, if something is constricting your ducks tongue, you may only have a day or two before the damage becomes somewhat permanent.

I wish I could offer you more help and advice, but it's hard to tell what's wrong just by looking at the pictures.

-Ashley

Back
Top Bottom