Straw vs shavings

:welcome :ya:yesss: Hello and welcome to BYC. You found an Amazing Poultry Community to be a part of with many knowledgeable members who are willing to help you along your journey with any questions you may have. Enjoy :)

Depending on where you purchase the wheat straw, you could always ask if it's been sprayed or not? I don't know why a local farmer would lie about spraying it or not. :confused:

Wow!! Did NOT expect such a response! Thank you to all of you for the warm welcome. I live in middle Tennessee-not many wheat farmers around so have to get straw from Co-op. God only knows where it comes from. I get shavings from local Amish woodworkers. Super cheap, but don't want to harm the biddies. I also compost their bedding, which I am not comfortable doing with the straw. Don't think composting kills Roundup. Use compost on veggie garden. A real pickle, huh?

Wow!! Did NOT expect such a response! Thank you to all of you for the warm welcome. I live in middle Tennessee-not many wheat farmers around so have to get straw from Co-op. God only knows where it comes from. I get shavings from local Amish woodworkers. Super cheap, but don't want to harm the biddies. I also compost their bedding, which I am not comfortable doing with the straw. Don't think composting kills Roundup. Use compost on veggie garden. A real pickle, huh?
I do use hay in some situations. All of my used hay goes into my compost pile as well as the shavings when I clean out the coops. We grow a lot of vegetables and have had no issues. The Roundup does degrade over time. If you spray a field of roundup ready plants such as soybeans, it works for awhile but the weeds do come back after awhile and then will have to be sprayed again. Again good luck and have fun...

Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us:ya

I use large wood flake from TSC, where about in middle TN? I get my feed in Doyle, they're pretty honest folks and will tell you where they get their hay and straw.

Back
Top Bottom