Straw vs. wood chips

Woody pet? Is that a brand name? I'm not familiar with it. Give us some more info, please.
tongue.png

Sorry quick question. Will poplar wood shaving work well?

I have a bunch or poplars on my property that need to come down and I have a wood chipper. 2+2= free wood shavings.

I use both. Straw mainly for the nesting boxes. During the long winter days when they are kept in I through a handful of cedar in for odor control. Some say cedar is bad but I've had no issues with it. Plus I only trhough a handful or two in at a time.

Jeremy

i used to use shavings
now i use wood pellet bedding

the hens break it down fast and seem to enjoy it

does anyone else use pelleted bedding?

vi

Hay is cut field grasses, full of leaves etc. It's saturates with water easily and will compact and rot quickly.

Straw is what's left over after harvesting wheat or oats. It's much much cleaner and is hollow which makes for decent insulation. It's sheds water better and will not rot as quickly.

Question relating to topic......

I started buying straw... and at least one of my hens started to lay... I ran out and went back to shavings since they were cheaper.... no more eggs. I fairly certain that it is the molting and the shorter days... but, is it also possible that she preferred the straw and is now reluctant to nest in the shavings? They all liked burrowing and nestling down in the straw... but now all roost since the straw went away
sad.png
I need to get some more.

Back
Top Bottom