Straw vs. wood chips

hinky toes

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 1, 2008
Bozeman, MT
What do you prefer to use in your coop for bedding/nesting material - straw or wood chips, or something else? I find that chips take longer to break down in the compost and they don't contain "messes" in the coop as well.

I prefer wood chips but I just got 9 bale of straw off Freecycle! 2 for the Coop, 1 for the quail, 3 in the shed for whatever and 3 in the run to play with(they collect worms when they are allowed to get wet and rot)

I love the wood shavings. They are very easy to use, keep clean and smell great. (Don't use cedar.) I use the DLM (Deep Litter Method) so shavings work great for that. I will say that I agree the shavings don't break down quickly in the compost but that's the only negative I can think of.

Wood chips are too large for me and I agree they would not keep things 'clean' very well.

Straw can harbor mites in the hollow stems and gets wet, messy and then clumpy so I don't like it either.

I prefer wood shavings hands down, I find straw too expensive here almost 9.00 a bale and what I have ever bought habors bugs in the shafts!

Like Michigan Chickman, I use a combo, too. I spread a thin layer of pine chips, then cover with straw both on the floor and in the nests. I use the pine chips mainly for the gooood fragrance.
My neighbor across the road has a different approach. He gets busted bags of top soil, that are taped up, from Lowes - 50 cents a bag. He uses that on the floor & under the roost. Uses straw for the nests.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom