Straw vs. wood chips

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hinky toes, Nov 3, 2008.

1. hinky toes

hinky toes Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2008
    Bozeman, MT
    What do you prefer to use in your coop for bedding/nesting material - straw or wood chips, or something else? I find that chips take longer to break down in the compost and they don't contain "messes" in the coop as well.

2. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    I use a mix of wood shavings and straw. The straw was free so I just mix it, one layer of shavings and then a layer of straw etc.

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I prefer wood chips but I just got 9 bale of straw off Freecycle! 2 for the Coop, 1 for the quail, 3 in the shed for whatever and 3 in the run to play with(they collect worms when they are allowed to get wet and rot)

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I prefer wood chips for the coop floor but straw for the nesting boxes.

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I love the wood shavings. They are very easy to use, keep clean and smell great. (Don't use cedar.) I use the DLM (Deep Litter Method) so shavings work great for that. I will say that I agree the shavings don't break down quickly in the compost but that's the only negative I can think of.

Wood chips are too large for me and I agree they would not keep things 'clean' very well.

Straw can harbor mites in the hollow stems and gets wet, messy and then clumpy so I don't like it either.

6. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

I prefer wood shavings. They are easier to clean definitely and the birds can turn it easier.

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I prefer wood shavings hands down, I find straw too expensive here almost 9.00 a bale and what I have ever bought habors bugs in the shafts!

8. Gloria

Gloria Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm just now learning that wood shavings are a whole lot easier to deal with than straw. Easier to clean and smell good too.

9. Michigan Chickman

Michigan Chickman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    SW Michigan
    I use a combination of both straw and shavings. It seems to me though that the birds prefer straw particularly in the nest boxes IMHO.

10. b-cuz

b-cuz Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2008
    Meriwether Co., GA
    Like Michigan Chickman, I use a combo, too. I spread a thin layer of pine chips, then cover with straw both on the floor and in the nests. I use the pine chips mainly for the gooood fragrance.
    My neighbor across the road has a different approach. He gets busted bags of top soil, that are taped up, from Lowes - 50 cents a bag. He uses that on the floor & under the roost. Uses straw for the nests.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by