Tell me what I need to do for cleaning this coop

Are these up to date photos? It looks damn clean in there already!

I'd just toss the old bedding into the run and call it a day. If you don't want them playing with the straw, then put it out for yard waste pick up or compost it.

No water, dry is best. I would also advise against the permethrin - what would you be treating for? Permethrin is not a preventative for pests, it only treats active infestations and you did not mention having one. It kills beneficial insects like bees as well.

I'd just toss the old bedding into the run and call it a day. If you don't want them playing with the straw, then put it out for yard waste pick up or compost it.

No water, dry is best. I would also advise against the permethrin - what would you be treating for? Permethrin is not a preventative for pests, it only treats active infestations and you did not mention having one. It kills beneficial insects like bees as well.
Hi. Thank you! Yes the coop pics are from today/yesterday. I only have 6 girls and clean up a little everyday. Ok maybe I just broom brush spider webs and dust up a little and change the straw.
Correct, no lice/mites here thank goodness.

Hi. Thank you! Yes the coop pics are from today/yesterday. I only have 6 girls and clean up a little everyday. Ok maybe I just broom brush spider webs and dust up a little and change the straw.
Correct, no lice/mites here thank goodness.
Wow well you certainly keep it very clean as it is. I'd just brush/broom off dust and webs, swap out the bedding for new, and call it a day. If you have access to a good N95 or respirator mask, I'd highly recommend wearing that for the duration of cleaning (I go further and use goggles, a shower cap, and a full set of clothes from the discard pile, because I use a leaf blower to de-dust everything).

Animals that live in groups have a pecking order. The chickens are giving social cues to the chicks. They are at the bottom of the pecking order and can't get to the top of the hill yet. Sheep do the same thing.

Wow well you certainly keep it very clean as it is. I'd just brush/broom off dust and webs, swap out the bedding for new, and call it a day. If you have access to a good N95 or respirator mask, I'd highly recommend wearing that for the duration of cleaning (I go further and use goggles, a shower cap, and a full set of clothes from the discard pile, because I use a leaf blower to de-dust everything).
Haha haz-mat attire! Good thinking 😷

I use the permethrin as a preventative for spiders and also flies in the poop boards (the powder form) just my experience with it.

I use the permethrin as a preventative for spiders and also flies in the poop boards (the powder form) just my experience with it.
As much as spiders creep me out, it's live and let live outside our house (inside the house, they get jettisoned outside). And the chickens are happy to eat them. Flies, I usually put traps out for them, though they've not been a problem this year. Mosquitos on the other hand are eating me alive this year if I don't spray myself with repellant. :(

I have to be more mindful than most with permethrin usage because my run is also very close to a migratory salmon creek, and leeching of anything into the waterway is a concern that most others probably don't have to deal with.

As much as spiders creep me out, it's live and let live outside our house (inside the house, they get jettisoned outside). And the chickens are happy to eat them. Flies, I usually put traps out for them, though they've not been a problem this year. Mosquitos on the other hand are eating me alive this year if I don't spray myself with repellant. :(

I have to be more mindful than most with permethrin usage because my run is also very close to a migratory salmon creek, and leeching of anything into the waterway is a concern that most others probably don't have to deal with.
I can appreciate your points. We are in completely different areas, so different practices all around.

Back
Top Bottom