Stray cats :(

Hi everyone! It seems like it's one issue after another lately with my little flock of six hens. Lately we have had broody hens but our new problem is stray cats. We live in upstate NY out in the country. Our neighbor has cats that are mostly outdoor cats. They must have discovered our chickens because for the last two days we have seen them creeping up on the chicken run. Thankfully both times, the chickens began screaming and I was able to scare away the cat. We have a completely enclosed and predator proof coop and run that I am confident the chickens are safe in. We also have an "extended run" that is attached to the main run by way of a door that I open. I let them in the extended run during the day when I am at work (they do supervised free ranging with me in the evening). This extended run is made of metal fencing 2x4 inch with a hardware cloth roof. The extended run does NOT have trench and screening done underground. My questions are.

- would a stray cat dig under the fencing in the extended run to get to the chickens? Do they typically dig like that?

- I know its my neighbors choice to keep his cats outside but I am terrified now of them getting to my chickens. Should I say something? Trap them if they come on my property? What would you do?

-anyone know of and have luck with any of those special motion sensors devices? I'm wondering if something like that may help in this situation.

My parents neighbor’s cats would always creep up to get the fish out of the pond. My parents found a motion sensor sprinkler that worked like a charm! It would go off when it sensed the cat. I wouldn’t put it too close to the coop so it doesn’t startle the chickens but maybe a couple of these around the yard before the cats enter your yard would work.

My neighbors let their cats out too. I hated it even before I got my chicks because they hunt the wild birds (we have Eastern Bluebirds!!!!). I'm very nonconfrontational so haven't done anything. I worked at the city pound for a couple of years; the animal control officers would try to explain about birds and other reasons to keep cats in when people came to pick up their cats if they ended up there. It rarely makes a difference; cat people are usually pretty set in their ways on this. But sometimes it might. If you try, I think going with the damage to threatened native bird species would be more effective than the treat to your chickens. Or if they are strongly set on giving their pet a more natural experience then they might be willing to see why you want to free range sometimes (if you do) and agree to a cat free and chicken free schedule. Long shot anyway, especially of it working for very long.

Anyway, cats don't dig hardly at all. So if you don't free range you can probably cat proof fairly easily. A lot more easily than keeping racoons, foxes, skunks, and weasels out.

If these are cats that are fed, they are just having stalking fun with your chickens. They are not going to dig like foxes because they can't, they can't climb anywhere as near as well as a raccoon, and they certainly can't tear through hard fencing. If you have a predator proof pen and are with your birds when free-ranging, you should have no concern at all about the cats, except for stress to your birds.

Too bad you don't have a real aggressive bird that would run up to the fence as if trying to hurt the cats. They would run. (In a duck park I used to go to, a stray cat who kept stalking the birds had his tail broken by a goose. He never stalked waterfowl again.) Even domestic rabbits can scare cats. Cats expect a stalked creature to run and then they chase. When the stalked creature turns on the cat, though, and goes after it, the cat runs! You can also easily scare cats with noise or water.

P.S. You could always get a dog. Even a little one can easily chase off cats, and teach them to avoid your pen area. Or a territorial cat of your own would chase off other cats. You could adopt a grown one that was trained by chickens or geese to leave birds alone. Co-existence techniques usually lead to a much less hostile relationship with the neighbors.

Last edited:
A big orange and black cat has appeared in our backyard. It’s possibly a new neighborhood cat, or it may have been the same cat that used to be harassed by a little bird right on top of our fence. (I think same bird was also harassing the tree squirrels on the same fence.)
We’ve not been too concerned about cats, but now that we’re down to two aging (5 & 7 year old) hens, I’m wondering if we need to be more vigilant in keeping the cats out.

Keeping the chickens in the run all day is not an option. My husband WILL let them out And they have their own routine to keep themselves fed and cooled.

This morning, I smelled cat poop in the corner of the yard where the chickens don’t go.

I’ve used coffee grounds to deter (or mask the odor) cats. I’m wondering if cats will be repelled by human urine.
Does anybody have any thoughts on that?

I’ve caught three neighborhood cats stalking my chickens. I probably looked like a mad woman but I ran after each one and “hunted” it to the end of the property. There after, I did the same thing each time I saw them on the property.

Last time I saw any of them was a few weeks ago. The goal was to make the property unsafe territory to hunt in and by nature my presence and scent something to avoid.

Seems to be working. For now.

As for other options, I’m sure upstate NY has similar livestock harassment laws as VT. If a domestic animal is harassing or harming your livestock, you have the right to eliminate it. That’s my personal last resort as it may be a child or elderly person’s only companion. If I see those cats again anywhere near the chickens or coop I plan on trapping them and dropping them off at the humane society.

I don’t let my own cat free range because of the damage to wildlife and danger to her. Domestic cats are one of the greatest drivers of the loss of songbirds in the US. I don’t have a lot of tolerance for people that let their cats roam and then get indignant about it when others don’t appreciate Fluffy killing things.

Cats won't be repelled by human urine. Even feral cats in pretty remote places have people around too much.

And after reading the above... that makes sense. Maybe not afraid of human scent but is afraid of that individual human and, maybe, their scent. Especially if you are out at unpredictable times.

Cats won't be repelled by human urine. Even feral cats in pretty remote places have people around too much.

And after reading the above... that makes sense. Maybe not afraid of human scent but is afraid of that individual human and, maybe, their scent. Especially if you are out at unpredictable times.

I think you’re right. I work from home, with my greenhouse making up a wall of the chicken run and the back door to my house just 20ish ft from that. I am in and out of it all day and most of the evening plus keeping and eye on the chickens most of the time. The run is fairly secure from sudden dog and cat attacks but not truly predator proof. I rely on my frequent presence, the murder of crows in the area, a nearby compost pit full of food scraps and secure coops and brooder to discourage most wild predators.

If I was more predictable then chasing them off would probably be less effective.

Back
Top Bottom