Stray cockerel is locked in a stall......now what?

CovenantCreek

Chicks Rule!
12 Years
Oct 19, 2007
Franklin, TN
This morning we discovered that a stray cockerel was trying to make time with the girls. At first I chased him around with a net while hoping he'd hop over the fence and go back to wherever he came from. No such luck -- nor was I able to catch him before I gave up and took my daughter to school. I wasn't sure what would happen if he encountered Rooster Boy while I was gone, of course I assumed the worst. He was still here when I got back home, and this time I was eventually able to catch him and get him locked up away from my flock. I also learned that Rooster Boy was less concerned about him than the girls. They were the ones trying to send him packing while the Rooster Boy ignored the activity around him.

I think I know which farm he came from, and left a note on the door there, but what do I do with him until they come get him? My flock has already been exposed to him (though not extensively), so the attempt to quarantine now may be moot. He's in the barn with my 7 week and 3 week old chicks, but in a non-adjoining stall. Other than providing food and water, what else should I do to prevent potential health issues from arising while he's here? Should anything be done differently if no one claims him and I decided to keep him?

He's a gorgeous red barred cockerel, around 6-8 months old, just learning to crow.........beautiful little boy........
normal_redroo8.jpg

Just try to keep from getting any of his poo on your shoes & tracking it around. Wash up with soap after handling him or his feeder & waterer. I recommend cleaning his stall when he's gone before letting your chickens in there. Other than that, I think you've done all you can. I hope all ends well...

Quote:
After seeing a Red Barred Rock in another thread, I'm thinking he may be one of those, but I have no idea really. The guy who I thought he belonged to doesn't seem the type to have anything rare or unusual when it comes to farm stock -- but then, he hasn't called me either, so maybe this boy isn't one of his.

I wouldnt worry about separating him so very much. Anything that bird has could just as easily come from wild birds pooing into your chicken yard- for the most part anyway.

he's a pretty looking fella... I think you should keep him!!

Back
Top Bottom