Stray dog attack

Kilo129

Chirping
Mar 1, 2020
We have a rooster that was attacked by a stray dog. From the outside it seems minor, just a bunch of plucked feathers at the base of the neck, but the poor guy won't hold his head up for more than maybe a minute. He stands and moves enough to change positions but then lays down and goes to sleep. Has anyone seen something similar? My wife thinks he will pull through but I think it's something major and that he's just suffering a slow death. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Welcome!
So sorry for your guy. Did this happen just today? Did you get the dog?
Can he eat and drink anything? Offer yummy stuff, maybe something soupy that's easy to eat. He might be exhausted and very sore, and need time to rest.
Mary

Welcome!
So sorry for your guy. Did this happen just today? Did you get the dog?
Can he eat and drink anything? Offer yummy stuff, maybe something soupy that's easy to eat. He might be exhausted and very sore, and need time to rest.
Mary
It happened yesterday. He's drinking but that's it. I took a shot at the dog but I was running and unfortunately missed him. Im sure he'll be back. We've given him scrambled eggs and are keeping him in a quiet, dark place. Every time you go in he's laying down with his head all the way down, reading on his cheek. Last night he almost fell asleep with his face in his water. That's how weak he is.

He could just be very sore and bruised, or he could have something more serious going on. How big was the dog? Did you see the attack? Did the dog have a good hold of your rooster, and did the dog shake the bird, or did he just get hold of a few feathers and that's all? Expect him to be more sore over the next two or three days and then start improving.

Can you offer your roo some sugar water or electrolytes such as diluted GatorAde or PediaLyte? Don't force it, just hold it near his face and see if he will drink.

Can he stand or walk at all? Could he be paralyzed? An actual spinal injury really won't be good.
Try soupy food, applesauce, something to get calories into him. There's an aspirin dose for chickens, and I'm not sure what it is. Try looking it up.
He needs daylight hours too, not total darkness. Is he in the coop, or somewhere warmer? Old towels or disposable hospital or puppy pads are good bedding if he's in the house.
Poor guy!
Mary

Can he stand or walk at all? Could he be paralyzed? An actual spinal injury really won't be good.
Try soupy food, applesauce, something to get calories into him. There's an aspirin dose for chickens, and I'm not sure what it is. Try looking it up.
He needs daylight hours too, not total darkness. Is he in the coop, or somewhere warmer? Old towels or disposable hospital or puppy pads are good bedding if he's in the house.
Poor guy!
Mary
Thanks, I'll make sure to get him some sunshine today and I'll look up the aspirin. He does stand but only for a short time and he walks but also very short. Less than a foot then he lays back down.

He could just be very sore and bruised, or he could have something more serious going on. How big was the dog? Did you see the attack? Did the dog have a good hold of your rooster, and did the dog shake the bird, or did he just get hold of a few feathers and that's all? Expect him to be more sore over the next two or three days and then start improving.

Can you offer your roo some sugar water or electrolytes such as diluted GatorAde or PediaLyte? Don't force it, just hold it near his face and see if he will drink.
He was a large dog, Golden retriever mix. I didnt see the initial attack but when I got out there, the dog had him pinned and was chewing at the base of the roosters neck on his back. There doesn't seem to be any injuries anywhere except the base of the neck. I'll try the sugar water today and see how he handles that. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom