Stray dog popped in yard What would you to do?

JupiterFarmer

Songster
10 Years
Feb 14, 2009
Palm Beach County
Today When I left for my lab class in the middle of class I got a text that my mom found a beagle in the yard.

We got a trio of chickens we let free range because the coup isn't done yet so they don't have a comfy place to be in all day, only a place to be put bed and let out to stretch.

The dog seemed to have been here before because my mom found poop that didn't belong to our dog and it knew how to escape. I went to look and see if I could find it in its own yard but that didn't work.

So if you were me what would you do. I want to stick a note in the neighbors' mailboxes so they could get a fair warning because that dog comes after my chickens its going to be gone.

I've been sweating so much over these babies. I've lost a bunch weight with them and They are benificial in so many other ways already I don't want them hurt before they start laying

If you know whose dog it is I would go talk to them in person first. they might not know that their dog is getting out. Beagles are notorious for following their noses, right out of their own yards! I would talk to them first, then go from there. If the dog comes back again and shows any aggression toward your chickens though, I would call animal control or shoot it.

I forgot to add...

check the other posts in predators and pests. It seems a lot of people are having issues with dogs recently and there have been many great suggestions on how to deal with them.

good luck

I wish knew who owned the dog I tried to find them so I could talk. I've never seen a beagle around here before though.

I might just have to leave a flyer with laws regarding my right to shoot if my chickens are attacked and how if I find tags that they'll have to pay me for my loss.

I've lurked on this part of the forum for a long while but results of ending a problem sadly end with dead chickens or having to fortify own yard. When their coop is done its going to be a fort knox because of the hurricanes we got here, but its not done so they're in cages with free range time

If it was friendly I would go up to it and see if it has tags on the collar and call the owner. If there were no tags I would take it to the shelter. If it was going after my livestock I would shoot it. I am a dog magnet though. When I lived in town I would have dogs follow me home often when I went for walks. Luckily most all of them were friendly.

Ooo Carole I like your idea might hafta stay on watch for it then. Guess Ima miss chemistry tomorrow since I can take a day off in that class to catch that bugger.

He ran away when my mom tried to catch him though so might hafta set a trap

If you live in the country, hunters sometimes will leave a beagle that isn't *working out* behind. He will take the collar and tags off. Did this dog have a collar? It has happened to us in the past. (no we're not hunters and we don't leave dogs behind, but we have had hunting dogs left behind in our vicinity that we have had to deal with)

Last edited:
I think we got a hunter that has hound dogs that they let run loose soemtimes. Would've gone to there house if I didn't think that their dogs could attack me if I stepped foot in their area, but I wasn't home, my mom was and she told me about the dog. So I don't know much about it, she was very angry about the whole deal

Beagles are usually pretty friendly, I wouldn't worry too much about get bit by one of them, they are real people dogs. I'd bet it belongs to that hunter.

Back
Top Bottom