stray dog

feather13

Crowing
10 Years
Sep 4, 2012
southern california
Ugh. Yesterday a stray husky got into our backyard, killing our beautiful Welsummer and injuring our sweet Red Sex Link. We have a large predator-proof coop and run, but the kids had left the coop door open. Luckily, we have ten chicks in a smaller coop inside the larger coop and they weren't harmed. It was awful running around our fenced in back yard hearing and seeing the Welsummer die and trying to round up the three remaining hens and throw them back in the coop before the dog got them. It was also kind of scary. The dog was really fast and fearless. It growled at me when I tried to get it out of the gate. They are just chickens, but I love them and their funny personalities (I'm not a dog or cat person; chickens are definitely the best pet for me!) I'm so glad the Sex Link lived (I saw her in the dog's mouth, but she seems fine today), but am so sad about the Welsummer. Sigh. Thanks for listening.

So sorry! Plan to keep your birds in their safe coop and run until this dog is eliminated. Report your losses to Animal Control, and if you know who owns the dog, they owe for the damages. Don't try to capture a dog who growls at you, and definitely keep children out of the way. AC may have a very large live trap you can borrow. Can you shoot this dog when he comes back? Good luck, Mary

the dog is going to come back, i would kill it or report it to animal control before you lose more been through that myself

Very sorry for your loss. Yes they are "just chickens" but they are your chickens. Their life matters too. I adore my chickens . You do need to report the dog. It could happen again or it could bite a person/child next. Best wishes
hugs.gif

Ugh. Yesterday a stray husky got into our backyard, killing our beautiful Welsummer and injuring our sweet Red Sex Link. We have a large predator-proof coop and run, but the kids had left the coop door open. Luckily, we have ten chicks in a smaller coop inside the larger coop and they weren't harmed. It was awful running around our fenced in back yard hearing and seeing the Welsummer die and trying to round up the three remaining hens and throw them back in the coop before the dog got them. It was also kind of scary. The dog was really fast and fearless. It growled at me when I tried to get it out of the gate. They are just chickens, but I love them and their funny personalities (I'm not a dog or cat person; chickens are definitely the best pet for me!) I'm so glad the Sex Link lived (I saw her in the dog's mouth, but she seems fine today), but am so sad about the Welsummer. Sigh. Thanks for listening.

I'm sorry for your loss .you should call animal control and report this and look for the dogs owner .the problem is people won't keep there dogs up. it seems like they just don't have respect for their neighbors and the local government doesn't in Nashville Tn. its now illegal to chain your dog in your yard animal abuse they say. find the owner and break his legs that what I say. I'm a framer I have no dogs but I go out and find my tires wet all the time and dog tracks around my chicken pens they come in the middle of the night. I don't blame the dog I blame the owner you can see how much it upsets me.

I am sorry for the loss you suffered. California is not a good place to shoot a dog. I would advise you to contact animal control. I, personally, would have a rifle ready for the next time it shows up and if you are out in the country that will work better and faster than a dogcatcher. That won't work for everyone though. If the dog is feral it can be a danger to you or your children, not just your chickens. If it belongs to someone, you are in luck because you can sue the owners. Dog owners are responsible for their dogs behavior.

You should take pictures of the dead or injured chickens - the date and time., so you have the history of this mutt's attack, and log in any new problems with the same dog.I guess California is not one the SSS areas.

Can you set up a game camera to catch him on film, when he comes back - I am sure he will. That will be proof. So sorry for your loss.

I am not a lawyer but a quick search found the following :
§ 31102. Conditions involving livestock or poultry that permit the killing of a dog
Except in an area in which the provisions of Article 2 (commencing with Section 31151) of this chapter apply or as otherwise provided in Section 31104, any person may kill any dog in any of the following cases:
(a) The dog is found in the act of killing, wounding, or persistently pursuing or worrying livestock or poultry on land or premises which are not owned or possessed by the owner of the dog.
(b) The person has such proof as conclusively shows that the dog has been recently engaged in killing or wounding livestock or poultry on land or premises which are not owned or possessed by the dog's owner.
No action, civil or criminal, shall be maintained for the killing of any such dog.
CREDIT(S)

(Stats.1967, c. 15.)

Of course go through the process of reporting, make sure the owner pays for the birds, etc.

But the biggest issue here is that your fences aren't secure enough to keep out a dog, which means you're wide open to other dogs, coyotes, foxes, coons, etc. That needs to be fixed, or this is going to keep happening, whether you shoot the dog or not.

Back
Top Bottom