Streak of blood on eggshell

camotruck

Chirping
May 22, 2010
NW Ohio
I have 4 RIR's that just started laying less than a week ago (just over 23 weeks old now). I have had 2 eggs that had a streak of blood on it. All the other eggs have been fine (total of 7 so far). So I'm assuming the eggs with the blood on the outside are from the same chicken. Should I be concerned about this?

I wouldn't be concerned. Some of our pullets have done that when they started laying as well. I assume that they are laying a little bit bigger eggs than their poor little bottoms are ready for.

Naw, its pretty normal for new layers. Even an older layer will sometimes lay a really big egg, and the size will cause a small tear in the tissues where the egg passed through, so a bit of blood may streak the egg. If your hen is bleedin from her vent, or anything is protruding from her body, then you may have a problem, but a few streaks of blood on an egg is just par for the course.
smile.png

Ok, thanks. I wasn't too concerned but thought I should address it here. Thanks a bunch for the info. BTW, I got a double yolker in the first week.

I have had this happen today and a couple times previously. Is it normal or cause for concern? This is our first time owning chickens and want to be sure to keep the girls healthy!

I have had this happen today and a couple times previously. Is it normal or cause for concern? This is our first time owning chickens and want to be sure to keep the girls healthy!

One of my Black Sex Links will lay eggs that have blood on them, it will happen because the egg is just a little to big for her "opening" so it could tear something in there. If there is blood coming out of her "opening" when she's not layuing, then there is some cause for concern.

Back
Top Bottom