1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Streak of blood on eggshell

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by camotruck, Oct 17, 2010.

1. camotruck

camotruck Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2010
    NW Ohio
    I have 4 RIR's that just started laying less than a week ago (just over 23 weeks old now). I have had 2 eggs that had a streak of blood on it. All the other eggs have been fine (total of 7 so far). So I'm assuming the eggs with the blood on the outside are from the same chicken. Should I be concerned about this?

2. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I wouldn't be concerned. Some of our pullets have done that when they started laying as well. I assume that they are laying a little bit bigger eggs than their poor little bottoms are ready for.

3. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    Naw, its pretty normal for new layers. Even an older layer will sometimes lay a really big egg, and the size will cause a small tear in the tissues where the egg passed through, so a bit of blood may streak the egg. If your hen is bleedin from her vent, or anything is protruding from her body, then you may have a problem, but a few streaks of blood on an egg is just par for the course. [​IMG]

4. camotruck

camotruck Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Ok, thanks. I wasn't too concerned but thought I should address it here. Thanks a bunch for the info. BTW, I got a double yolker in the first week.

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:That'll do it.

6. shannonkwheeler

shannonkwheeler New Egg

Jul 29, 2013
    Maine
    [​IMG]

I have had this happen today and a couple times previously. Is it normal or cause for concern? This is our first time owning chickens and want to be sure to keep the girls healthy!

7. PineShavings

PineShavings Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2013
    Tex

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by