Strep A? (Strep Throat)

ChikinInThePines

Songster
6 Years
Mar 13, 2017
South Carolina, USA
Hey Everyone!
I have been fighting strep throat since Christmas Eve. I took one round of antibiotics for 10 days, and 2 weeks later it came back. I just finished my second round of a different antibiotic....I wanted to ask if it's possible to contract Strep A or B from chickens? From tracking in bacteria, touch, etc?

Strep bacteria is almost always spread in the same way Covid is - through droplets in the air from people coughing, sneezing and talking. Chances are nearly 100% that you got strep from your fellow humans, not from your chickens. If strep infects chickens, yes, it's possible to get it from them, but more likely it wouldn't be you that suffers. A flock infected by strep can get so sick, you might lose half of them.

You might want to take steps to prevent your strep germs from infecting your chickens. Wear a mask and glove up to handle them.

Changing your toothbrush might be something helpful to keep from reinfecting yourself. It sounds like the first antibiotic didn’t help. Many bacteria that once were susceptible to certain antibiotics, now have become resistant to many common antibiotics. That is why they recommend a throat culture before treating symptoms, so more bacteria do not become resistant from overuse of antibiotics.

Back
Top Bottom