Stress bloodiness?

joeanybody

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2023
On Aug. 28th I had a tree branch off an old oak tree the size of a 5yr old oak fall on my house. The branches part hit my roof and the base crushed part of the chicken enclosure right over the top of the hen house. This of course scared the bejeasus out of all 8 hens (4 white leghorn, 4 ISA brown). Now I got one leghorn (not really known for getting broody) that has been broody ever since. I’ve tried just kicking her out of the nest. I collect the eggs every single day. I’ve tried kicking her out then leaving a bag of frozen vegetables on the egg she is guarding to make it uncomfortable for her to return. Locking her out is not possible. Any suggestions on how to break her? Only other option is to put her down. She might be too mentally damaged anyway. My cats would appreciate the fresh meat but want to give her the best life possible.

Get a wire dog crate and put her in it. No bedding.
Taking egg and frozen veg doesn't work, as you found out and wastes the veg.
Not to sound argumentative but want to provide as much info as possible so that any out of the box thinkers might be able to help. So please forgive. Separating her is not an option either unless a way could be found to Separate her inside the enclosure. Where I live, a single chicken is most likely a dead chicken. Too many predators around both large and small. A dog crate would only deter most of them but not all. I live on the border of a national wildlife refuge. Besides her past behavior dictates this wouldn’t work. When void of an egg to guard she simply lays one and guard that one. She doesn’t collect the others eggs to guard them. I suspect she has been in and out cycle a few times.

Just MY opinion…. Putting her down, because she’s broody, is NOT the answer.
Neither is leaving her in a ptsd’d state. The broodiness is only the symptom I think. Eventually she will start to bring the other ones down and start fighting.

Not to sound argumentative but want to provide as much info as possible so that any out of the box thinkers might be able to help. So please forgive. Separating her is not an option either unless a way could be found to Separate her inside the enclosure. Where I live, a single chicken is most likely a dead chicken. Too many predators around both large and small. A dog crate would only deter most of them but not all. I live on the border of a national wildlife refuge. Besides her past behavior dictates this wouldn’t work. When void of an egg to guard she simply lays one and guard that one. She doesn’t collect the others eggs to guard them. I suspect she has been in and out cycle a few times.
You don't need to take her out of the coop unless yours is tiny. Or bring her inside your house. I never said to take her out and leave in a cage in the middle of your back forty, some things you don’t disclose so I assume you'll apply some common sense and use what's best in your situation. She needs constant cool air hitting her under side for a few days to 'dry up' her hormones, not freezing temps for a few hours, on and off. That will make her sick.
You loose nothing for trying, past behavior isn't a good indicator unless you've tried a similar approach?
If you suspect neurological issues, give her 400 i.u vitamin E and a quarter of a B complex tablet every day for a few weeks. Any brand, from the grocery store. Pull down on her wattles and pop it in.

Read this after reponse to nuthatch. I will attempt this. As long as I can rig up a way to feed and water. Just gotta find where to put it so the other don’t just stand on it and poop on her. Lol
Use the tray out of the crate to cover the top.
Some people turn the crate upside down, instead of 1x2 wire on the bottom.

You don't need to take her out of the coop unless yours is tiny. Or bring her inside your house. I never said to take her out and leave in a cage in the middle of your back forty, some things you don’t disclose so I assume you'll apply some common sense and use what's best in your situation. She needs constant cool air hitting her under side for a few days to 'dry up' her hormones, not freezing temps for a few hours, on and off. That will make her sick.
You loose nothing for trying, past behavior isn't a good indicator unless you've tried a similar approach?
If you suspect neurological issues, give her 400 i.u vitamin E and a quarter of a B complex tablet every day for a few weeks. Any brand, from the grocery store. Pull down on her wattles and pop it in.
I got a rural king and a tractor supply an hour drive. They might have something for chickens along those lines. Thx for suggestion. Will try. I’m all for helping her. I’m just not a fan of leaving her “damaged” because the accident is 99% most likely the cause of her distress.

Back
Top Bottom