Stress diarrhea?

PicklesMom

Songster
Jul 28, 2018
Central MA
We've been dealing with bumblefoot in our 8 month-old Pekin, Susan, for the last few months and this week it swelled to the point where it had to be drained at the vet yesterday. She didn't get any medicine at the vet except a homeopathic remedy (Calendula; when I looked it up quickly it seems like this could treat diarrhea rather than cause it). She has been living in the basement on paper bedding since yesterday, and I notice that her stool is liquid and whitish. This wasn't the case before. Could it just be the stress of the day yesterday? She is otherwise acting ok, annoyed to be separated, just ate some greens that I put in her water bowl. She took a gulp of water with dilute chlorhexidine that we were soaking her feet in yesterday, but the diarrhea started beforehand, and she hasn't been drinking any epsom salt water.

Thanks so much for your help!

My ducks always get diarrhea from going to the vet. They also instantly get diarrhea when they see me carrying a syringe, because they know I'm going to medicate them. But it seems to resolve quickly, because the next time they poop and I'm not holding a syringe it will probably be a formed one.

But my ducks are used to going to the vet and taking medicine.

My vet has even commented that she can never tell if waterfowl have diarrhea because whenever they come to see her they always have instant diarrhea all over because of stress.

I would even suspect that the stress of being away from her flock could cause diarrhea for your duck.

My ducks always get diarrhea from going to the vet. They also instantly get diarrhea when they see me carrying a syringe, because they know I'm going to medicate them. But it seems to resolve quickly, because the next time they poop and I'm not holding a syringe it will probably be a formed one.

My vet has even commented that she can never tell if waterfowl have diarrhea because whenever they come to see her they always have instant diarrhea all over because of stress.

I would even suspect that the stress of being away from her flock could cause diarrhea for your duck.
Thanks! I appreciate the reassurance.

@KaleIAm She has a little less diarrhea but was still seeming pretty stressed today, not eating as much as usual, so I was feeling like this can't be great for her health moved her outside. I made a little pen inside our covered run with puppy panels, put down a sheet of clean cardboard on the ground, and covered it with paper bedding so she can at least see her friends. So long as it stays dry outside and we change out her flooring, do you see any reason why this is a bad idea? Thanks so much for your help.

@KaleIAm She has a little less diarrhea but was still seeming pretty stressed today, not eating as much as usual, so I was feeling like this can't be great for her health moved her outside. I made a little pen inside our covered run with puppy panels, put down a sheet of clean cardboard on the ground, and covered it with paper bedding so she can at least see her friends. So long as it stays dry outside and we change out her flooring, do you see any reason why this is a bad idea? Thanks so much for your help.
I think it is a great idea. I always move my ducks back outside so they can be with their friends and back in the environment they are most comfortable with as soon as possible. Studies show that stress impacts health in both humans and animals.

I would make sure to have her on as soft of a substrate as possible, since she is healing from bumblefoot. My flock used to have bumblefoot before my vet recommended I only allow my ducks to walk on soft surfaces. It make a huge difference. No bumbles since!

I think it is a great idea. I always move my ducks back outside so they can be with their friends and back in the environment they are most comfortable with as soon as possible. Studies show that stress impacts health in both humans and animals.

I would make sure to have her on as soft of a substrate as possible, since she is healing from bumblefoot. My flock used to have bumblefoot before my vet recommended I only allow my ducks to walk on soft surfaces. It make a huge difference. No bumbles since!
I'm so glad to hear it worked for you. I think we have two potential causes, I changed their bedding to straw in the winter for better insulation but I am now thinking it might have been poking their feet, and also they've been running off into the woods lately onto goodness knows what when we let them free range. Hopefully changing those two things keeps this from happening again.

Back
Top Bottom