Stress=no eggs?

AccidentalFarm

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 29, 2007
Texas
Just wondering if the stress of moving a hen to a new home will cause her to stop laying? If so, how long would you think until she resumes?

We picked up four yesterday so I'm wondering the same.......good timing on the question in other words
wink.png

The RIR we got a while back took about a week....but that's all the experience I have so far.....

EDIT for grammer
smile.png

Last edited:
Yes! Stress is bad for egg laying. Just yesterday I was filling up my feed cans and the empty bag blew across the pen. Oh man, you'd have thought they were under attack. Running everywhere, and then all cramming under the coop. Today. . . no eggs! Drat!:eek:

Moving can be a big stress, as we all know for ourselves. They'll be fine in a couple of days.

Mark

Everyone is shut down here still.....Decker has a mean streak I wasn't aware of.....she fought all of the new birds, Red goes with the flow but she must have been effected as far as laying goes....they're getting along now but no eggs from anyone.....

Well, I was wondering about the shell quality with my flock of 26 free rangers. The also get fed 18% layer ration.
I was getting really thin shells and wrinkled shells as well. I treated an apparent mite infestation and have cleaned the coop weekly.
Well talk about stress, I also discovered there was a skunk under my coop which has a partial wood and partial dirt floor.
Guess it stressed the chickens out too.
Being somewhat easy digging in soft sandy soil, there also appeared to be a skunk under the cabin. Well in our small town, I could not find a trap to borrow or purchase so next trip out I got a dual pack of traps.
12 skunks later ( 2 families including 10 kits!)I couldn't believe it!
My egg quality improved 100% in just over a week after the skunks are gone! Coincidence?

Stress can cause egg quality and egg shell quality problems. I'm glad you sorted those skunks out before they became even more of a problem!

Back
Top Bottom