Stress or coccidiosis??

Helen_Jayne

Songster
5 Years
Jun 7, 2018
Sheffield, UK
Please can anyone advise? I recently added a couple of sebrights to the flock which we raised indoors from day old, so they had been quarantined. Stupid mistake, I put them all on the same perch with the other birds. I noticed one of the hens (Popcorn), who always goes next to them had lost weight a week ago but saw no signs of fighting. Then 3 days ago I came in and the sebright cockerel and Popcorn were both showing signs of what I thought was stress, they were hunched and pale with diarrhoea and water coming out their beaks, the hen's comb was pale and had flopped.

I immediately put them into separate boxes with heat, they weren't eating but both drinking gallons of water. The cockerel seems better, he's back free ranging, he has some wet poo but other than that normal. However the hen is still not right, she is drinking lots but not eating much and has projectile diarrhoea which is basically just water.

Then to top it off her best mate (Violent), who'd been with the rest of the flock, lost about half her feathers. She was in such a state and looked like she was going into shock too so I put her with her friend in the box and actually the moulting seems to be calming down. I was worried to put them together in case it's an infectious disease but actually Popcorn does look a bit better since. They are like a two headed chicken, always together.

Could this be coccodiosis?? I haven't seen any blood, it's just water in the poo. Poor Popcorn seems to vomit water whenever she tries to eat which soaks the food. Should I wrap her up and force feed her? Because she's drinking I feel she'll eat if she's able to. Not sure what to do for the best. Can anyone advise, does this look like stress or something else? I've treated two birds for stress and they weren't doing this vomiting/ diarrhea thing. At the same time those birds (both silkies) seemed a lot worse than this, they didn't drink or do much at all.

Any help gratefully received. I'm supposed to be going on holiday next week and can't go with the birds sick.

Has it been hot where you live? If it's heat stress, yes, they'll drink alot of water which will cause watery diarrhea. If they drink too quickly they can throw it up.
You can add a fan in the pen and inside the coop. Just make sure the fan inside the coop is blowing air out the vent, indirect airflow will come in through the other vents.

I'm in the UK and it's not been hot. We had a few weeks of heat over a fortnight ago but it's cooled off lately and been very wet and windy.

I know, I posted a couple days ago saying I thought it was heat stress, but I then realised that was ridiculous because it was 40 degrees celcius a couple weeks ago and lately it's been way cooler. If they were going to get heat stress, they would've done back then. Now both the hens are moulting. Could that be what it is?? Neither of them are interested in eating but they're both drinking plenty.

Back
Top Bottom