Stressed Chickens! Help!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickensrule45, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Hello BYC!
    We have just got two new different breeds of chickens and my two older is a browns are very stressed and seem to be stressed and upset!:( The two new ones are quite comfortable though.
    I'm concerned for my two old Isa browns though and worried of they could die from stress!!
    Do you know if they'll be ok? I'm not sure how they'll cope!

Thanks! :/

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    When did you put the new ones in? Are the picking on the older ones?

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Chickens hate change, it does cause them stress to add and subtract from the flock, if there is no blood, they are fine and will re-ajust within a week.

When adding new birds of similar size, make sure your run area has multiple feeders, waters, and hide outs and multiple levels such as an outdoor roost in the corner of the run, a piece of plywood leaned up against a wall, a pallet up on blocks. While these might make your run seem more crowded, it actually gives your birds more space to get away from each other. Bare open empty runs are boring for chickens, and bored chickens often will pick on each other. There is no place to get out of sight, and it can turn ugly.

Mrs K

4. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    What are their symptoms of stress? Screeching bloody murder? Panting? Flying like a crazed bird all over the coop and crashing into things? Attacking others or you?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by