Stressed chicks arrive 72 hours after hatch.

LightMadeLiquid

Songster
7 Years
Feb 20, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Hi everyone! (Almost) First time baby chick mama here!

I ordered chicks through an amazing local feed store (hatch date of 03/17). They order through Cackle. All of the chicks arrived to our local USPS this morning (03/20) and they're crazy stressed (they lost a number of them in transit and after arrival to the store) so the store sent out an email saying they're going to try to recuperate the chicks a bit for a few days prior to sending them home. I trust the judgement of this shop and the quality of care they can provide.

My question is this: When I pick them up in a couple of days, what are steps that I can take to ensure the health of the already stressed out chicks? ACV/Nutri-Drench/Sav-A-Chick? Or a combination of things? I just want to make sure I'm prepared and am giving them their best chance.

Have your broody setup ready and tested to the correct temperature.
I like quick chick vitamin and electrolyte, but the others may be just as good. I only usually give that for the first week anyway.
Chick starter avaliable 24/7.
Dont do any other treats, it only detracts from the perfect nutrition they get from the starter.
Wait for a couple months or so before experimenting with treets.
Sorry your chicks had such a long stressful journey.
I hope all goes well with your survivors!

Have your broody setup ready and tested to the correct temperature.
I like quick chick vitamin and electrolyte, but the others may be just as good. I only usually give that for the first week anyway.
Chick starter avaliable 24/7.
Dont do any other treats, it only detracts from the perfect nutrition they get from the starter.
Wait for a couple months or so before experimenting with treets.
Sorry your chicks had such a long stressful journey.
I hope all goes well with your survivors!
Thank you!

I like Nutri-Drench as it can be mixed into water like any other chick booster, or given directly at full strength if any chick is struggling more than the others. But I've used powdered mixes like Sav-a-chick as well.

Glad the store has the option to hold on to them to ease the transition, rather than insisting they all be picked up immediately, to try and minimize losses.

I like Nutri-Drench as it can be mixed into water like any other chick booster, or given directly at full strength if any chick is struggling more than the others. But I've used powdered mixes like Sav-a-chick as well.

Glad the store has the option to hold on to them to ease the transition, rather than insisting they all be picked up immediately, to try and minimize losses.
I love the store that I ordered through, I'm very lucky to have a shop like this available to me! It's a small husband-and-wife owned business, they've got big hearts and a lot of experience.

And thank you for the info! I have the powdered electrolytes but I think I'll also get some Nutri-Drench!

I'm a believer in braggs acv in the water. I make my own electrolyte of sugar and salt, but add it as well. The last order I got sat an extra day because of closed roads due to snow. They're all doing great.

Back
Top Bottom