Stressed new hens and a bully.

TheNewHen

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 8, 2014
We just introduced 4 hens to our 3 hen/1 rooster flock. It's been stressful watching the pecking order go down. One of the original red hens is the queen and she's doing all the things I've been reading about. It's only been about 5 days, and the new hens, who are are year older and very established layers, still haven't laid eggs. We're starting to wonder if they are being ran out, or kept out of, the laying boxes? How long can they go without laying? Definitely not laying under the trees, we've searched everywhere.
And when will they all settle down and roost together? ?? I'm stressed.

It's completely normal for hens to not lay for awhile when they have been moved to a new location or really had their normal lives changed in any way. They will lay when they are ready, there is no set time though. How many nesting boxes do you have? You could always add 1 more and then take it away in a few months if no one has started to use it.

We have a run attached to the coop, then the yard is fenced where they range. I tried keeping them in the run alone but it was too hot.
We have about 6 laying boxes. The original three only use one.
Everyone was more relaxed today.
We were just wondering if the head hen was chasing them off the box.
We have plenty of roosting space inside the coop as well, but the new hens aren't allowed in there at night and have been roosting in the run. :(
Last night we put them in the coop and shut the door but they hadn't been on the roost at all. .. There was poop in a couple nesting boxes. This is stressful.

Back
Top Bottom