Roo
10007_handsome_roo.jpg

Henny Penny (HP)
10007_hp_7_months.jpg

Mama Cass
10007_mama.jpg

and the peepers (Mama's first brood)
10007_more_worms_please.jpg

They are my family, my pets. I do eat Mama's eggs when she is not sitting on them, but that is not why I own them. I just love their companionship. They are so much fun!

Elizabeth, do you know what breed those hens are with the guitar? And do you find them aggressive? I have 6 and sometimes they are just way too adventurous for their own good.

My hens are pets with benefits....for me! I have waited years to get hens again and I adore them all. They will never be eaten. If I am not able to care for them, I will find another home for them. If one needed to be 'culled', I couldn't do it.
I am giving serious consideration to raising birds for food. However, they would not be with the girls, and would be strictly for that purpose. I couldn't do it if I was attached to them like I am the girls. The price of a good quietly chicken here has gotten so high it is like buying a filet. But, I don't really like chicken and prefer the eggs anyway. If the economy continues, I will do the meat birds on another section of the property.

i have 8 pet chickens at the moment.. I had chickens off and on since I was 12 and all of my chickens are pets I don't eat eggs very often... I am not overly fond of eggs...I dont eat animals that I know... I would rather sell them then eat them...

My chickens are pets and always will be. I'm vegetarian, and so is my family. We're also vegan except for eating the eggs from my chickens, who are very well cared for and definitely not required to lay.
smile.png

I have mine for eggs and pets. I can't kill them. If I get to many roos from breeding I give them to my neighbors who fatten and do the deed. I just can't do it. I remember as a kid saving my pet rooster from the fatten pen. I would go there and get him out and release him. Made my paw paw mad. Then one day it happened- Maw maw made Stew and It was Sophie. I cried and cried and needless to say I did not eat that Sunday. I will give them away keeps the neighbors happy. Now if the Govt. keeps on the track its on I just may have a change in my heart. Thats why I got the breeds I got. Duel Purpose and hoping they are to heavy for the prey birds to haul off... Also right now I have some old ladies(3) way past the egg laying stage. They will just be here till they die. I just lost my 11 year old Bantam cochin roo to a prey bird.
thumbsup.gif

I have 5 chickens and 2 ducks and 2 cats and one bunny and they are my best friends!!!!!!!!!!!! I give them the best life i can and i let them run around my property and live a happy life!!! They bring me great joy and i would never eat them never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do love the eggs tho!!!!! lol I give them to my friends and they call me the egg lady and they bring me egg cartons all the time too!!!!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom