STRIDOR with my hen!

LeezyBeezy

Songster
9 Years
Mar 13, 2010
Lancaster PA
My hen is making very odd noises as she breathes. Every breath sounds like a harmonica, or like stridor in a human (when the airways are tight, it sounds sing-songy). No snotty nose or eyes, nothing obvious. I have no idea how long she's been like this. I saw them this afternoon at about 2 and she was fine, and it's now 4:30.

I'm thinking she either swallowed something a little too big, or inhaled something that made her airway irritated. I tried looking in her mouth, but I can't do it alone, she keeps fighting me. I have her separated for now. Any ideas??

Last edited:
I have a hen named Cinder who did this. Turned out she had wet fowl pox and was inhaling her own saliva. I made sure to give her food moistened with water so she did not inhale it. Sounds exactly like her.

She ended up just fine- who the heck knows what it was??? She's been laying for awhile (I found one post where a hen did it after laying). She must have strained her throat/airway somehow. By the moring she was her nomral self and out to the flock. No new noise since....

Back
Top Bottom