Stripey Chick

Soylent Chick

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 6, 2015
This little one hatched late Friday/early Saturday from a pale brown egg. I would have thought it is a production red but it has stripes down the back rather than the solid brown coloration. It's too young for an ID but I was curious if those wiggly stripes are possible in PR chicks.

Thanks!

Where did you get your hatching eggs?

With that white head dot, that looks like the markings of a barred bird to me...as if it will be red barred (red and white barred).

You can have variations within the lines as production reds are hybrids of sorts, a hatchery formula of high production layers usually RIR, NH, with maybe some Leghorn sometimes thrown in, perhaps Wyandotte, sometimes Rocks...which is where some of that barring may have come from, hidden under some mixed genetics....perhaps a White Rock brought into the line for stamina and production.

Or could have been a mismarked egg...you might have a Pioneer or Rainbow (which are red barred birds).

But no, that is not the typical coloring of a Production Red chick. At most, I've seen the chipmunking that RIR's can have, but not barring.

My thoughts (and questions).

LofMc

Last edited:
Where did you get your hatching eggs?

Thank you for the information! I'm still rather new to chickens and your insight is much appreciated.

The eggs are from a farm that supplies eggs to a hatchery. They were labelled as surplus and were passed through a few people's hands before I received them. Unfortunately, that's as much as I know.

Back
Top Bottom