Stripey Chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Soylent Chick, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Soylent Chick

Soylent Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2015
    This little one hatched late Friday/early Saturday from a pale brown egg. I would have thought it is a production red but it has stripes down the back rather than the solid brown coloration. It's too young for an ID but I was curious if those wiggly stripes are possible in PR chicks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks!

2. codeylpowell

codeylpowell Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2015
    I do think that it looks like a production red and it could be just a genetic thing.

3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Where did you get your hatching eggs?

With that white head dot, that looks like the markings of a barred bird to me...as if it will be red barred (red and white barred).

You can have variations within the lines as production reds are hybrids of sorts, a hatchery formula of high production layers usually RIR, NH, with maybe some Leghorn sometimes thrown in, perhaps Wyandotte, sometimes Rocks...which is where some of that barring may have come from, hidden under some mixed genetics....perhaps a White Rock brought into the line for stamina and production.

Or could have been a mismarked egg...you might have a Pioneer or Rainbow (which are red barred birds).

But no, that is not the typical coloring of a Production Red chick. At most, I've seen the chipmunking that RIR's can have, but not barring.

My thoughts (and questions).

LofMc

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with donrae - maybe a Pioneer or Rainbow.

5. Soylent Chick

Soylent Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2015

Thank you for the information! I'm still rather new to chickens and your insight is much appreciated.

The eggs are from a farm that supplies eggs to a hatchery. They were labelled as surplus and were passed through a few people's hands before I received them. Unfortunately, that's as much as I know.

6. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Then it is likely not Production Red but a Pioneer or simply a hatchery oops mixed breed.

Should be a beautiful bird.
    Lof Mc

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by