Struggling to integrate chick and mother back into original flock

TangoGolfSierra

In the Brooder
Jan 3, 2021
Hello, I have recently hatched out some faverolle eggs under a broody silkie. Whilst she was sitting on them, and up until yesterday I have kept her isolated in a box in the garage to bring up her single (out of 5 other eggs that didn't hatch) faverolle chick. The chick is now 8 or 9 weeks old, and almost as big as her mother and her mother's two sisters (the other two silkies constitute the rest of the entire flock). There's a single silkie, however, who has taken an aversion to the mother and chick, and pecks them at the slightest opportunity. Any helpful ideas as to how to integrate?
They currently live in a sectioned off part of the run during the day, and their original box at night. The silkie that doesn't like either of them is constantly up against the wire trying to get through to peck them.
Thanks in advance, and before you say... yes, I realise I'm incredibly lucky that the only chick to hatch should be a pullet😂
16338735871005182441502100779642.jpg

Your see-but-no-touch area is it's extremely tiny - even if the chick and mama wanted to move away, there's no room. Can you expand the space they have to work with?

Run overall looks narrow but obviously I can't see the whole thing. Can you put in more clutter to give mama and baby some hiding spots, then taking away the separation fence and seeing what happens? Some pecking is normal, but if no one is getting hurt I'd consider that good enough.

Your see-but-no-touch area is it's extremely tiny - even if the chick and mama wanted to move away, there's no room. Can you expand the space they have to work with?

Run overall looks narrow but obviously I can't see the whole thing. Can you put in more clutter to give mama and baby some hiding spots, then taking away the separation fence and seeing what happens? Some pecking is normal, but if no one is getting hurt I'd consider that good enough.
Yes OK I will expand it a bit-ikwum tho, it does look small in the pic. I will try and get a better picture tonight!
Will add some hiding spots, thanks for that idea!
You can reverse the integration... Separate the bully and let the others form a flock without her then trial putting her back in.

They definitely do need more space though.

Ohh yes good idea!
Will defo try in a bit if I'm still struggling.
Sorry, I guess it does look small from the photo, but the run floor area is in total probably around double what u can see, because they have the floor space under the coop as well. It is abt 2 m x 3 m square, but does look a lot smaller in that pik🙂

Thanks for your replies😊

Back
Top Bottom