Stubborn broody- blah!!

Eckielady

Songster
Feb 12, 2017
East Tennessee
We have a Cochin mix broody who sat really well....until the babies were born. 2 days ago 5 babies were out. Next morning one is dead (not mamas fault) and I find her in a different nest box with screaming babies in old box. I took the babies and finally decided I couldn't trust her with them after she stayed in the wrong box for hours. Later in the day she goes back to the original nest box and 3 unhatched eggs. Today,I finally pulled the 3 eggs (day 25) and they are dead but mama is STILL on the nest with absolutely nothing below her. I'm going to wait a few days and see what happens since she is coming out a couple of times a day but has anyone else had a hen do this? I could give her babies back to her but honestly I'm hesitant. I'm not sure but I'm guessing this is her first hatch and she's just kind of all over the place.

Trust your instincts. It sounds like this broody may have the hormones, but lacks the brain cells to nurture her chicks. It happens sometimes with novice broodies.

You would do well to tell her she's fired, and brood these chicks yourself.

There are good broodys and there are not good broodys, some of them sit tight on their eggs and brood their babies very well. I think you should scratch this hen off.
I have a 2 year old broody that hatched chicks for the first time, she has been excellent in sitting on eggs and being a mama.

Trust your instincts. It sounds like this broody may have the hormones, but lacks the brain cells to nurture her chicks. It happens sometimes with novice broodies.

You would do well to tell her she's fired, and brood these chicks yourself.

I'm sorry, I didn't type that out well. Her babies are inside with me and won't be going back to her. I just don't trust her with them. She was off twice this morning so may be done.

Heck of a sitter for the last 24 days. Darn poor mother.

If you would of provided her with the proper place to raise her Chicks she would of done a fantastic job...Being you removed the Chicks she is still waiting to hatch...:th...She was not given the chance to go from setting into raising mode....
I would of set her up better and let her keep her Chicks...:frow

If you would of provided her with the proper place to raise her Chicks she would of done a fantastic job...Being you removed the Chicks she is still waiting to hatch...:th...She was not given the chance to go from setting into raising mode....
I would of set her up better and let her keep her Chicks...:frow

Well that's a personal choice and we just do things differently. I have always left my broodies in with the group and will continue to do so unless I have a specific situation. It's what I have always done and I've never had an issue.
Besides, her leaving her babies had nothing to do with the other chickens.

Ap
Well that's a personal choice and we just do things differently. I have always left my broodies in with the group and will continue to do so unless I have a specific situation. It's what I have always done and I've never had an issue.
Besides, her leaving her babies had nothing to do with the other chickens.
I am sorry but if you explained in more detail as to your experience or lack of?...I would replied differently...
No problem then....Glad its all working out for you so well..

Ap

I am sorry but if you explained in more detail as to your experience or lack of?...I would replied differently...
No problem then....Glad its all working out for you so well..

No worries. Either way I don't have the space to separate everyone out. I read about people that have multiple broodies and can't figure out how a person would separate that many birds. I like them getting integrated as they grow.

No worries. Either way I don't have the space to separate everyone out. I read about people that have multiple broodies and can't figure out how a person would separate that many birds. I like them getting integrated as they grow.
Yes....I do too....I put mine back into the flock at two weeks old and zero issues in integration .....

Back
Top Bottom