Stubborn Broody- Will it ever end?

HEY Folks!
It's about time for an update!
We finally "broke" our broody MYRNA!!!!!!
We had to put her back in chicken jail INSIDE with air conditioning for only about 4 days. We put her in a room that was close to us so we got to watch over her all the time. This also meant that she was disturbed by noise regularly, which maybe helped break the cycle. After the 4 days, she started making different sounds so we took her out to see how she'd do, and she blended right into the pack. She still hasn't begun laying again and it's been about a week, but she has started molting (which I've read tends to happen post broodiness).

IT IS POSSIBLE! She was unbelievably stubborn! Don't give up if you're in the same boat :)

This is all so interesting. We have one broody hen for going on 3 weeks now. We are new to raising chickens so I have no idea what to do. I take her out of her nesting box every chance I get. Today when she was outside the box she fluffed and fluffed and did all sorts of strange things as she hunkered down in the sand Sounds like it’s normal? Her comb is a bit droopy. She is drinking and eating when we push her out of the box. The other hens pretty much avoid her.

This is all so interesting. We have one broody hen for going on 3 weeks now. We are new to raising chickens so I have no idea what to do. I take her out of her nesting box every chance I get. Today when she was outside the box she fluffed and fluffed and did all sorts of strange things as she hunkered down in the sand Sounds like it’s normal? Her comb is a bit droopy. She is drinking and eating when we push her out of the box. The other hens pretty much avoid her.
Are you actually trying to hatch? If not, she'll likely break soon, but otherwise I would've broken her at the start, as she's probably starting to lose body condition from sitting.

Sounds like you need to actually place her in a “broody breaker” crate and monitor her eating and drinking. Maybe offer her a mash made from her pellets to tempt her and also get more fluid in her.

*Disclaimer - I haven’t had a broody hen yet. Advice is based on what I have seen experienced chicken owners post. Your results may vary.

Back
Top Bottom