Stubborn chickens only laying eggs in two nests of broody hens.

Eden83_haaretz

Songster
Jan 5, 2021
Mexico, Puebla
I have two chickens that went broody in two different nests, the issue is that I have other nests next to them and the hens that aren't broody keep pushing these two out and laying there. Sometimes the broody hens will switch at that time to the other nests that the others should be using; so yesterday I had to move the eggs under the broody chickens, just so they won't get cold.
This is troublesome, should I maybe just move their nests somewhere else so that the others stop bothering them?
Don't even know if the eggs they are sitting on are fertile because before they went broody I used some eggs that I suddenly discovered in a nest of a chicken with chicks, so this chicken slept on top of them for three or four days straight, would this jeopardize de development of those eggs?

All my chickens are young first-timers, except for four (three of which are not that good mothers... They leave the chicks too young in my opinion).

Move the broodies to a different location with their eggs. They shouldn’t brood in the nesting box.... a small dog crate with chick starter and fresh water is all they need as long as they have the ability to go in and out at least once a day to take care of their business and then go right back. The other hens just want their nesting box back.

Back
Top Bottom