Stubborn Chickens!

chicken mamma

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 19, 2008
North Texas
I now have 41 chickens, about 15 of them are 17 weeks old, before I got my babies, they all slept inside the hen house, but have always refused to roost, they stay on ground level, and won't settle for anything else, but at least they were INSIDE the hen house. my 7 week old chicks have been outside now for almost 3 or 4 weeks, and they chose the other side of the hen house but still Inside of it. However, here the last two weeks or so, everyone, and I do mean every single chicken in that coop sleeps outside agains the chicken house, they all huddle together like they are cold. Each night I shoo them into the hen house, move the door over the opening of the henhouse, (which leaves a small amount of room for them to get out in the morning. And 15 to 20 minutes later they are all outside again. I know here in Texas its starting to get pretty hot, but I go inside the hen house and its always at least 5 to 10 degrees cooler in there. Soon my older girls will start laying, and I know that if they are already snubbing their noses to the hen house, there is no hope when they start laying. Any suggestions...?
barnie.gif

Maybe it is stuffy in the hen house? If your run is safe and secure, you can let them sleep outside. Mine like to sleep outside regardless of temps... well, they start go go in when it's in the low 20's.

As for eggs, they should start in the next month or two. I'm sure someone will find a nest box and you can get them to lay in there. Mine don't sleep where they lay their eggs.

sorry to hear your having striking issues with the house..

just for assurance.. mine sleep on the floor but in the house too..

So I put the laying boxes outside...they now sleep inside. I have also put their feeder inside since we've had so many threats of rain. Not sure which had to do with it (the laying boxes or the feeder) but I'm glad they're inside. Also we butchered our first chicken yesterday. I'll post that in the right place. But everything turned out great.

Oh my, they are putting you through the ropes! I'm sorry it's so hot and I hope the girls get more cooperative. Mine are 6 weeks so I'm not worried about them sleeping wherever they want now, though they are locked in at night.
cool.png

Knowing my chicks...if I locked them in, they'd find a way to jimmy the lock I'm sure. Rotten lot they are...must be all that spoiling I'm not doing
tongue.png

Might the nest boxes have mites? Chickens will sometimes avoid areas that have lots of mites. If there is a mite problem, you should see little white mite poops around your chickens' vents.
Best wishes!

My hubby and I are first timers when it comes to chickens. We've got 8 pullets that are 18 weeks old. We've had them for less than a week. They all insist on sleeping on the ground outside, right in front of the door to their run. I don't think it is the safest place for them to sleep. Tonight they are shut inside the coop for the first time. Will shutting them inside do them any harm if they really don't want to be in there for the night? My husband just came in and told me they are all asleep by the door, but still shut in the coop. They seem to spend most of the day indoors but they do mosey in and out.

well today with our first two eggs....YAY....we have discovered that they are at least doing that inside...thats what was most important to me. They do go inside if it rains or is too windy. So as far as this matter goes its a win for the chickens...chickens 1 us 0

Back
Top Bottom