Stubborn Pasty Butt / GI Chick *PICS* Updated

Do you have photos of the brooder?

It looks somewhat like vent gleet. Is her crop emptying overnight?

Quite young to be starting out with Gleet. Are you keeping water stationed cleaned and free of poop? Any feed getting moldy or wet?

I'd clean the vent with a mild diluted vinegar solution, then apply an anti-fungal cream (Miconazole, Clotrimazole) to the vent. Make sure the crop is emptying overnight.

See that the feed is not getting moldy, keep the water stations clean. I'd get some probiotics into her too.

Do the others have poor feather quality like this one?

The others are healthy. It seems to have groomed its rear end feathers off.
Was there something else about the feathers you noticed? They are genetic hackle chicks.

They have two waters, one small standard chick waterer in the "coop" part of the brooder for overnight and a gallon size in the run they spend most of their day in.
I wash them every other day with soap because I'm kind of OCD and the Corid can leave behind an orange residue. In between the waters are rinsed and filled at noon before it gets hot so they can have a cool drink, and I redo the "coop" one before dark so they have fresh water overnight, the run water I dump out at night and fill only partly in the morning because I know I'll be back to it at noon. They've never been out of water and they are lifted on blocks so they don't get too messy, but sometimes poop happens.

Here's some pics of its siblings I took one week ago.
That reminds me, most of these were taken at 5 weeks old (the last two at 4) so the chicks are actually 6 weeks now. Oops!
Do you think something is off with their feathers? I've been feeding Flock Party brand Chick Starter with 22% protein, but I've never raised a "feather" breed before so I was really hoping that was sufficient.

Oh, and the feed hasn't gotten moldy or wet. It comes in 10lb plastic zipper bags and I keep them on my covered back porch. However, there was a post about a feed recall on here but when I called my TSC they said they couldn't see anything on the computer about it.

Attachments

• ChickHackleBlonde.JPG
    ChickHackleBlonde.JPG
    426.3 KB · Views: 5
  • BlondieHackle.JPG
    BlondieHackle.JPG
    683.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Peachy3.JPG
    Peachy3.JPG
    663.9 KB · Views: 5
  • BirdieHackle.JPG
    BirdieHackle.JPG
    558.1 KB · Views: 4
  • GrizzleHackle.JPG
    GrizzleHackle.JPG
    448.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Probably the poor feathering on him is from him trying to preen off all the leaking.
I'd give him a good clean up and watch to see if he's actually able to poop a formed poop or if it's all leakage.

Oh, and its crop is definitely emptying, when I was holding it, I could feel the bone. It acts like its starving, is constantly eating, and poo is just constantly running down. If there is a blockage it doesn't seem to be passing.

Probably the poor feathering on him is from him trying to preen off all the leaking.
I'd give him a good clean up and watch to see if he's actually able to poop a formed poop or if it's all leakage.

Two days ago there was a formed poop but yesterday and today its just continuous leakage.
I gently cleaned after the pics but by the time I got it back in the brooder there was more mess, yet no change in the vent appearance.

I'd get him on some probiotics or give him white cooked rice with buttermilk. See if that helps firm up the stool and stop the leakage.

They've been on probiotics. In my long-winded original post (sorry) I explained I put Probios in the water all the time as a general preventive.
We did try the rice recipe a few days ago and it did seem to help everyone when the day was very hot. But I'm worried firming this ones poop up might make something that's impossible to pass in this condition?

Back
Top Bottom